iNat Milestones

Fantastic milestone! I hope you’re super proud of all your contributions, because we rely on identifiers like you to help the site move along.

6 Likes

Well done! iNat needs more dedicated people like you.

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Just passed 54k observations (with non-verifiable) and 4,500 leaf-species (and little work to do to get 200k ids).

17 Likes

That’s amazing! Thanks so much for all the work you put into this great site.

I totally get the satisfaction aspect. I realized a while back that get a kick out of numbers like this. I think it’s a certain wiring in my head that makes me also more vulnerable to really dumb gamifications… but it also is a big motivator for me to do some work. So by now I just gave in, acept it, use it and allow myself to be satisfied :grin:

4 Likes

Great stuff as well! Boths observation and IDs . Thanks!

1 Like

200,000!!! You should be seriously happy with that!

1 Like

Just passed 30,000 observations today, and 3,000 leaf taxa!

13 Likes

Over 500 species for the Cape Peninsula!

(57K IDs for others) About 100 to 1?

9 Likes

That is amazing. And except for the Nerite Snails in Egypt (not a leaf-species), all in Russia.

And while still a teen, three continents plus Galapagos.

5 Likes

That’s awesome! I just reached 45k recently - I’m going to be excited when I can join you “cool kids” in the 50k+ club ;)

What does “leaf-species” mean though?

3 Likes

When you open explore page in species tab iNat counts higher-than species taxa as a leaf species if you haven’t seen any species from it, so e.g. if all your Sarcophaga observations are at genus level, it will show you saw 1 species of it. If you open observers tab on the same page, it will show 0 at your species count, because there it only counts actual species.
btw. cool kids start much lower than 50k! :D Though there’s an elite club of 200+.)

3 Likes

Reached 8,301 observations with my upload tonight.

Currently at 1,360 leaf-species from Korea

20,585 identifications for Korea.
26,165 identifications total, so 5,580 outside of Korea.

8 Likes

I figured out that hovering my cursor over the thumbnail of a picture will generate a tooltip that includes the date the picture was taken. By doing this to find out all pictures taken on the same day, I was able to assign a location to them based on the one I remember taking.

The upshot is that I now have Kingdom Protozoa, thanks to this archival slime mold observation. Since I do not think that Archaea will be achievable, I consider my collection of Kingdoms complete.

8 Likes

Got past 500th observed Lepidoptera today, just little bit over 1000 left to see locally! :0

13 Likes

I have over 2,000 identifications of Nandina domestica, Heavenly Bamboo. And the plant is so distinctive, I think all of them are IDs at species level.

I marvel at the things that iNat has suggested are N. domestica but aren’t. If it’s a plant with reddish leaves, small leaves, or red berries, it might be a Nandina… I know that’s because it grows everywhere so it’s probably found in every location, but still, I think our AI has a thing for Nandina.

7 Likes

I just hit 1000 observations!

12 Likes

Wow awesome job! I just hit 900 so I’m hoping to hit 1,000 here soon too

8 Likes

I just hit 5,000 observations today! And also over 900 species
https://uk.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&user_id=rowan_m&verifiable=any

No round numbers for identifications recently, but I didn’t notice when I went over 25k, so I’ll celebrate now :grinning:

13 Likes

I’ve been officially using iNat for over 1 year now. I can’t believe how fast time has flown by! I’m looking forward to many more years here. <3

14 Likes