Incorrect IDs added automatically when duplicating an existing observation

The file name is the text that appears on the photo before the “.jpg” part of it. EG for these it’s “DSC02966” and the like:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure what the photo file name is when you’re duplicating an existing observation. I would think it would just be “original.jpeg”, from https://static.inaturalist.org/photos/58570626/original.jpeg?1577436401, from right click>Copy image address here: https://www.inaturalist.org/photos/58570626?size=original, but I’m not sure what is going on on the back end.

When I duplicate an observation, nothing ever appears in the ID section:

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve never seen these DSC numbers or .jpg numbers at any other time from taking the photos to uploading them to iNat. I may try to find them later, but I really don’t even like the idea of having to get involved in these kinds of things. At least I understand generally what has happened now.

It’s okay with me anytime you want to close this topic or change the title, since I was off base as to where the problem was. I went ahead and fixed the Melilotus observation and deleted the duplicated observations I made just for this topic.

1 Like

I don’t see any of those exactly, but the words “Add a” appear several times.

1 Like

On the one used for the bee and Melilotus observations I just get the same “Add a” but no “bd” or “bsal”, (and I didn’t get a map this time because it’s a different camera with no GPS, unlike the stork photo taken with a camera with GPS, if that makes a difference to the ID problem):

@bouteloua, you asked me about “ada”–what do those letters relate to?

It was listed as an unaccepted synonym for Brassia. I’m a bit stumped on this one myself.

1 Like

Okay. I wasn’t following the other threads before (I thought that I wouldn’t get caught up in this since I never do file names). Thanks.

1 Like

Do you know if the incorrect ID was showing in the “species name” box before you clicked “submit”?

My recent experience was that I could correct the filename-based ID before I hit “submit.”

But I just discovered that the uploader isn’t using filenames today. Let’s hope it doesn’t revert.

1 Like

Yes, the incorrect IDs appeared in the Uploader before I hit Submit, each time within 2-3 seconds.

I could as well, but the first time I corrected in the Uploader the incorrect ID did not disappear upon hitting Submit.

it’s using something, though, because I just uploaded my stork photo once again and it still got the ID of Salamander Chytrid (the observation was deleted after I checked it)

1 Like

Did you replace the incorrect ID, or just delete it? What worked for me was replacing the unwanted ID with something else, even if it was just a broad ID.

1 Like

If you mean the one I did a few minutes ago, I didn’t do either. I actually uploaded seven photos in the Uploader, the stork plus 6 random photos. Only the stork got an automatic ID in the Uploader, and I went ahead and submitted all 7 without adding or deleting IDs just to see if anything would change when I hit Submit–nothing did.

A weird bug indeed. I guess you could try renaming the stork file before you upload it. If that doesn’t work, you’ll have to wait for Loarie & crew to help you.

BTW, I noticed that before your edit, you said that you had tried replacing the bad ID and it didn’t work.

1 Like

The part I edited out was a reference to what happened with my Melilotus albus observation, which was the source of my idea that this was a duplication problem. I’m including what happened there below.

(I submitted the stork photo as an observation several years ago. I just randomly used it yesterday when someone suggested I was accidentally agreeing with computer vision suggestions. And today I just tried it again to see if it would do the same thing after you mentioned it not happening today.)

Yesterday I was making a bee observation from a photo cropped because the original was mostly flowers. In the Uploader, before I had a chance to enter an ID, an ID of Spider Orchid automatically appeared. I replaced it with the bee ID while still in the Uploader. When I hit Submit, the observation had only the ID that I had entered.

But then I duplicated the observation so I wouldn’t have to map the location all over again. While in the Uploader, the new observation was again automatically identified as Spider Orchid before I had a chance to do anything. I hit Submit. (I then used Edit to add additional flower photos and replaced the cropped bee photo with the original.) I also replaced the incorrect ID while in “Edit.” When I hit Save, the new flower observation had both the automatic ID of Spider Orchid with a line through it, and, in addition, my ID of Melilotus albus with a note saying that I disagreed this was a Spider Orchid. I didn’t like that the Spider Orchid ID was still there at all, and I also didn’t like that it was attributed to me.

correction to my terminology–this is a reference to the Melilotus observation (when I’m in the Uploader and then I hit Submit and then I hit Edit, I just feel like I’m back in the Uploader), and my correction was done in “Edit.”

FYI, you can delete an ID you submitted (or purportedly submitted) by selecting the arrow key for that ID and choosing “Edit” then “Delete.” The ID will disappear from the screen.

Of course, it’s probably easier if you notice the incorrect ID before hitting “Submit” and correct it immediately.

1 Like

Yes. I deleted both of “my” IDs on the Melilotus observation and then agreed to the IDs that others had added in the meantime.

I didn’t know how to find everything before but here’s a screenshot for the photo I used for the honey bee and Melilotus, and there is an “ada” in there. Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 3.32.38 PM

(I just sent the photo to Tony, so I finally saw it from the sent e-mail.) I did not create this file name.

And here is the same for the stork photo I used, but I don’t see any of those letter combinations in it:

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 3.50.46 PM

2 Likes

Replied here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/observations-uploading-with-random-species/8248/15?u=tiwane

2 Likes