Information on Mallard hybrids

I am interested in Mallard hybrids but can’t find much information on them can someone help me out?

Based on this post you can start with checking Index of Bird Hybrids, causes of hybridization, and little more.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

The index of bird hybrids is definitely not a complete list, I couldn’t find the mallard x pacific black duck hybrid.

1 Like

You can see it’s from 2014 and it’s someone’s work, no way it has all the hybrids from thousands of bird species, plus mallards would copulate pretty much with everything that’ll allow it genetically.

1 Like

Here is a link for all the mallard hybrids on the database
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?hrank=hybrid&lrank=hybrid&place_id=any&subview=map&taxon_id=6922&view=species
EDIT- It’s not working this time, it’s showing species as well.

2 Likes

My impression is kind of that Mallards can hybridize with any duck species. Although in the wild it’s less likely that they’d breed with species in other genera than in captivity.

1 Like

Anas platyrhynchos Linnaeus, 1758, Europe. Forms superspecies with A. rubripes, A. melleri and A. undulata. A. rubripes sometimes considered subspecies of present species. Probable unstable hybrids of present species and A. superciliosa, found on some Micronesian islands, have been considered a different species, Mariana Duck (A. oustaleti). Races fulvigula and maculosa have been partitioned off in a different species, Mottled Duck (A. fulvigula). Races diazi, wyvilliana and laysanensis are also often considered full species. Hybridization recorded with at least 23 other species of genus Anas, often producing fertile progeny, and also with several species of Aix, Alopochen, Anser, Branta, Tadorna, Cairina, Aythya and Somateria. Seven subspecies normally recognized.

1 Like

I found out how I did it accidentally, so here is the proper search query
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?locale=en&place_id=any&preferred_place_id=6744&rank=hybrid,%20variety&subview=map&taxon_id=6922&verifiable=any&view=species

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.