iOS app has been frozen on "Updating database" for the past 24+ hours

Thanks for helping me figure out what to do. Will delete and reload, cause three days is too long to wait for the database to update!

2 Likes

Just want to say that we’re lucky to have Alex doing incredibly complicated work on computer vision as well as working on the iOS app, the underlying code of which had to be rewritten piece by piece while still being functional.

6 Likes

Release 3.0.3 has been approved by Apple and is being released today, in case anyone is still waiting on slow migrations. Once Apple approves a release it can take a few hours to show up in the App Store.

6 Likes

I was a professional software developer for many years and am intimately familiar with the inevitable series of small clean-up releases that follow a major release. I’m extremely grateful for the iNaturalist app and website and am completely confident that these glitches will be worked out quickly. Go @alex!

8 Likes

Also had this problem, which resolved with a new update.

But I am still having problems with the Projects not loading: moving to the projects tab results in a delay, then a page of projects loads, then the app freezes and after a few seconds closes - alternatively the app just closes without displaying any projects.

I cannot see projects or add them to an observation.

1 Like

I don’t have any problem with adding observations to projects, but you admin and/or hae joined about twice as many projects as I have.

If possible, can you screen record this process and email the video to help@inat or link it here? I would be good to see exactly what this looks like.

Also, which device do you have and how much space is iNaturalist using on it?

1 Like

So it looks like the app on my iPhone 7 automatically updated to 3.0.3, build 604 without me doing anything. App size = 32.2 MB. Documents & Data = 50.1 MB. All looks good, no issues.

2 Likes

Thanks, Alex. I was hoping the issue might resolve itself, but my app is still frozen on “updating database.” I emailed you (from anne.sarah.bekker)