iPhone app: how much do you rely on it?

Disparagingly, maybe it can be referred to as the auto-stink feature? Any clues as to why it’s on by default with the criticisms that it has?

1 Like

lol auto stink
Just what’s posted in the thread you linked. Supposedly lots of users don’t ever upload their observations and auto sync doing it somehow is supposed to increase user retention. I don’t want to go on my rant on here again because i will just get in trouble. Needless to say i dont think it should even exist and certainly not default to on, but that’s just my own personal opinion as a long time inat user.

2 Likes

By auto-synch you’re referring to automatic upload in iOS I assume.

yes, i am

1 Like

But don’t you re-order your photos under the “Edit” function? That’s what I do. My camera photos are far superior to anything I can take via my iPhone and the app.

I seldom use my iPhone 11 for taking photos for iNat. But for those times that i do, I send them to my email or connect my phone to my laptop and then use the laptop/website to do my iNat uploading etc.

So I never use the iPhone app.

I edit / label (filename) all my photos prior to uploading, and have a very streamlined (specific, ha ha) process for these activities.

I often take many photos of an organism to make sure one or two are good. As such I do not like to keep more than 2-3 copies; but I prefer to preview results on my laptop, before making the decision to keep or delete.

When I find something unknown to me but I want to get an idea of what it is in the field, I use the Seek app. I can better control the location setting. And if I’m not satisfied with what Seek yields I go to the website on my phone. But that’s rare as I’m usually ok waiting. (Or I’m doing field work unrelated to using iNat so I have to wait).

I use the Identify function on the Internet much of the time. I also refer to the iPhone app frequently while identifying for cases where I know the plant I am looking at is misidentified, but I don’t know what it could be. The suggestions in the iPhone seem to work better than the suggestions in identify.

I also use the iPhone app to see what species are found in an area, since I identify in one genus with hundreds of species around the globe. Explore works well for smaller countries, states, or some predefined regions with uniform topography, but for larger countries and states, the map functions in the iPhone app that easily zoom in and out, and give a list are more useful for me.

And I manage my observations entirely in the iPhone app.

I read this and was confused. Depending how I get into an observation on the website the controls look different so I need much more detailed instructions. I have never stumbled on the functionality that you are describing despite using the identify function daily.

I would like it even more if the app allowed one to trim the sound files. Still, it saves a lot of steps compared to using Voice Memos.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.