ID-module on mobiles

Hello dear iNaturalist-team!
First of all, thank you very much for your wonderful database and app, I really like to use it at my work as a botanist and private.
I’d like to help with identification of German plants. I find time for this mainly while sitting in a train on my way to work or waiting at the train station for delayed trains. Unluckily if I open a project with the App on my mobile or tablet, I did not find any way to use the ID-module. Also there is no mark at the observations, if they already have a community-ID or not. So I have to open every single observation and check, to find out, if they need an ID or not. This is very time consuming and not very effective. Is there anything that I have overseen? Or, if not, is there any chance, that the use of the ID-module will be possible for the App version in future time?
Thank you very much and all the best!

2 Likes

You could try it on your phone’s mobile browser instead of in the iNat app. I do that sometimes.

Fair warning: it can be equally tedious to what you describe above, because all the thumbnails are tiny when scaled to fit the mobile site.

1 Like

I’d love to see more ID functionality on the app. I think app development is a bit harder to get done than web development, and i also think the app is in general kind of being revamped over time, so i’m not sure if there are plans to do this or not

2 Likes

App is to upload, not id (at least now), better do it in your browser, mobile one or full.

2 Likes

Oh, yes. That does makes sense.
I suspect many newbies, like me, only were introduced to iNat using the app. And, often, no one mentions how much more There is to it beyond the app. I did not learn about the website for a long time, and it was quite along way down the road before I began to start using it.

1 Like

Same for me…
It took a long time, until I mentioned, that somebody wrote messages to me, because they are not visible in the App.
Nethertheless it was a helpful idea to try via browser. First it tried to send me to the App again, because it is installed on the same device. But it works now and I can work on identification with my mobile devices. Besides this some improvements of the App would be great! If not the ID-module itself, but the notice, if an observation needs ID or not in the overview of a project, would be really, really helpful!
Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.