Is a photo of entrails too offensive for iNaturalist?

I agree with you. Just out of curiosity, does iNaturalist have a ‘warning’ or ‘caution’ marker for this kind of stuff?

For me, as long as it’s not to gross I don’t mind, just as long as their’s a description about what it is exactly.

1 Like

No, iNaturalist doesn’t. I made my own sign. I think iNaturalist would prefer that you post some inoffensive part of the mangled animal as the first photo, and then put the more troublesome photos in later in the same observation.

2 Likes

@sedgequeen thank you so much for the thoughtful post, I’m sorry it’s taken me a week to reply!

Thanks for clarifying. I guess to me, someone who is offended by such photos would be someone who is angry that someone would post such photos to iNaturalist in the first place, and that such photos would be acceptable on iNat. Disgust, revulsion, etc., are much more understandable to me, and I think those are all reasonable and perhaps healthy reactions to such photos.

As someone who subscribes to salamanders in California, I saw the majority of these. And yes, they were used to try and spur local government to create mitigation of some type (which, sadly, hasn’t really happened). So the observations were part of a conservation effort. And yes, it was not fun seeing all of those observations. So I feel you.

I think that’s a fair solution. I do want to point out, though, that at some point we won’t know what will offend anyone and iNat can’t be all things to all people. For example, many people are terrified of snakes and spiders and seeing photos of them can be pretty traumatic, but I’m not sure it would be good to provide warnings for those as well on a nature site (although yes, one can filter them out but it takes some doing). And I don’t say this lightly, a I’ve suffered a crippling fear of vomiting for much of my life (as silly as it sounds) that’s had a very deleterious effect on me, so I understand how even the suggestion of the phobia’s subject can trigger a strong reaction. In fact I would argue that some exposure can be a good and therapeutic thing. Like most things in life, it’s endlessly complicated. :-)

4 Likes