Is anyone else having dreams where they are outside in nature?

I recently dreamed I saw some new birds near my house - there were three of them, and they had the coloration and pattern of Steller’s Jays except that the blue parts were brighter (more the color of an Indigo Bunting), they had no crest, and were a bit smaller. I only made these comparisons after waking up. This was not a stress dream - I got great pictures and looked them up in bird books, where I discovered that they were a species commonly found in the rest of the US, but never before seen on the west coast. I remember being the most excited that I would be able to use them for my homeschool science project (write half a page about an animal, plant, fungus, or rock that I see within walking distance of my house that day). So I was disappointed when I woke up and realized I hadn’t actually seen these cool birds, but to make up for it I used all the information I could remember to describe them and find the closest real species - which turned out, sadly, to be the Steller’s Jay (a common resident in my area). What I really need is a camera that I can use in my dreams and wake up to find that it still has the pictures on it!

4 Likes

Funny in that I had my first remembered iNat dream last night. The part I remember was of trying to figure out how to crop a photo of a mushroom to help someone more expert ID it. I was really, really focused on that, knowing my photo was not likely good enough for an ID, but giving it my best effort.

3 Likes

On that note – I was so bookish growing up (and still am), that books about nature were and are a big part of my life. This is also reflected in my dreams – I will dream about a picture of some exotic plant or animal in the pages of a book, complete with caption.

Sometimes I can even identify the specific book! We used to have The Time-Life Encyclopedia of Gardening, and one of the titles was Foliage Houseplants. The last chapter of each volume was an alphabetic “encyclopedia” of plants, illustrated with color drawings. In one of my dreams, there was a page from that book, with a picture of what was captioned a “stekhouse plant.” It had colorful leaves like caladium, but they were fan-shaped. (In real life, there is such a genus as Stackhousia, but it looks nothing like what I saw in my dream.)

4 Likes

I had another one! I have been having lots of these dreams but one of them is I was on iNaturalist and it had every animal in the world IDed. Then In my dream I woke up and said “Was that a dream?” I checked iNaturalist and saw it was true! Then I work up in real life and checked and it was not true!

2 Likes

I once dreamt of being a mandarin duck.

2 Likes

It was very amusing. I had many mallard friends, and was in a swimming pool full of seaweed.

4 Likes