Is elevation of subspecies considered a split?

This is probably a stupid question, but I’m trying to learn the ropes.

If I want to elevate two former subspecies (each with its own taxon ID, range map, atlas, etc) to separate species, does that count as a Split? Do I use the old species name as the input taxon and are the new input taxa the old subspecies?

Or do I split the old species into two new species and recreate the maps, ranges, etc)? If so, do I merge the old subspecies first?

Or is it a Swap where I change the subspecies into a new species taxon?

Chris

3 Likes

Each subspecies needs to be swapped into its species name (with a new taxon ID). The one-to-one swaps should move over common names, the map, atlas, etc. Then, since some IDs were presumably made at the species level, the species should be split as well.
Are the two subspecies that are getting elevated the only subspecies in that taxon? That is, could there be observations of that species that are not either of the subspecies to be elevated?
(It might make it easier to discuss if we use the actual names of the taxa involved.)

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

The taxa involved is the split of the former subspecies of the Eastern Spadefoot
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/25313-Pelobates-syriacus

There are only two subspecies and the each represent a valid species now.

Chris

2 Likes

You can draft that change, but you can’t implement it. Amphibians are a locked taxa.

3 Likes

Yes, I know. I just want to get the grunt work done then notify Scott to commit it.

Unfortunately, it didn’t bring the atlases over when I created the new species from the species. But I can recreate those if need be.

3 Likes