Is it possible for an amateur to rear parasitic wasp larvae?

This morning I found a well camouflaged caterpillar covered with what I presume are parasitic wasp eggs. Is it possible for an amateur like me to raise them to adulthood to see what they are? Or should I just dump them all in ethanol?

2 Likes

Not an expert … if you could keep the caterpillar in an enclosure with soil, water, and appropriate plant material, it could work!

1 Like

Might it actually be parasitic wasp pupae that you are seeing, as in braconids? If so you can just place the larva in a closed container and the wasps will emerge in the near future. I’ve done this in the past.

4 Likes

Some caterpillars also camouflage themselves with bits of flower petals or other debris.

1 Like

If these are pupae, then the caterpillar is likely dead – the parasitoids keep it alive long enough to pupate, but it dies shortly afterward. Be sure to provide adequate ventilation so that the caterpillar does not rot; this would kill the wasp pupae.

2 Likes

To answer your question in the topic title: yes

2 Likes

You can’t find wasp eggs on the caterpillar, so, as previously said, likely those are braconid cocoons.

1 Like

Thanks. You are correct. They are actually pupae. I will give raising them a shot.

1 Like

The caterpillar or whatever it is, is still alive.

1 Like

to ethanol with this

Why would you kill them? They’re easily rearable.

1 Like

yes, it is possible; but a specimen dissected in ethanol would be an interesting exhibit

Yeah, but id is more likely on adult, so better to wait until they grow to it.)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.