Is it possible for an amateur to rear parasitic wasp larvae?

This morning I found a well camouflaged caterpillar covered with what I presume are parasitic wasp eggs. Is it possible for an amateur like me to raise them to adulthood to see what they are? Or should I just dump them all in ethanol?

2 Likes

Not an expert … if you could keep the caterpillar in an enclosure with soil, water, and appropriate plant material, it could work!

1 Like

Might it actually be parasitic wasp pupae that you are seeing, as in braconids? If so you can just place the larva in a closed container and the wasps will emerge in the near future. I’ve done this in the past.

4 Likes

Some caterpillars also camouflage themselves with bits of flower petals or other debris.

1 Like

If these are pupae, then the caterpillar is likely dead – the parasitoids keep it alive long enough to pupate, but it dies shortly afterward. Be sure to provide adequate ventilation so that the caterpillar does not rot; this would kill the wasp pupae.

2 Likes

To answer your question in the topic title: yes

2 Likes

You can’t find wasp eggs on the caterpillar, so, as previously said, likely those are braconid cocoons.

1 Like

Thanks. You are correct. They are actually pupae. I will give raising them a shot.

1 Like

The caterpillar or whatever it is, is still alive.

1 Like

to ethanol with this

Why would you kill them? They’re easily rearable.

1 Like

yes, it is possible; but a specimen dissected in ethanol would be an interesting exhibit

Yeah, but id is more likely on adult, so better to wait until they grow to it.)