Is it possible to place Anchors within a Journal post?

For a long post with many images and sections of text, to reduce scrolling needed to refer to different parts of the post

3 Likes

yes, it’s possible.

the key is to use named html anchor tags (ex. <a name="section1"></a>This is Section 1), in combination with links to those anchors (ex. <a href="#section1">Jump to Section 1</a>). you could also navigate directly to those named anchors by using the appropriate URL in your browser. that URL syntax would be something like: https://www.inaturalist.org/journal/user/99999-example#section1.

here’s some sample html code that you could copy and paste into a journal post as an example:

<h2 id="contents">table of contents</h2>
<h3>ordered list</h3>
<ol>
<li><a href="#section1">section 1</a></li>
<li><a href="#section2">section 2</a></li>
<li><a href="#section3">section 3</a></li>
</ol>
<h3>unordered list</h3>
<ul>
<li><a href="#section1">section 1</a></li>
<li><a href="#section2">section 2</a></li>
<li><a href="#section3">section 3</a></li>
</ul>
<hr />

<h2><a name="section1"></a>section 1</h2>
<p>blah blah blah</p>
<h2><a name="section2"></a>section 2</h2>
<p>blah blah blah</p>
<h2><a name="section3"></a>section 3</h2>
<p>blah blah blah</p>

now that markdown is supported, a lot of the formatting, links, and lists produced by this code could be accomplished using markdown instead of html, if you like, but the named anchors themselves probably still have to be done in html.

2 Likes

Thank you very much pisum for the comprehensive and detailed instructions. Having learned the few tags I have so far, I think I understand and will be able to use this one!

1 Like

Done! hopefully just in time to give my recipients a much easier time reading and referring to it, not to mention myself. The writing and editing of it would have been 100 ties easier if I had known this then!

But learning can only be built on bit by bit. I was just ready for this. Maybe I will be ready for tables by the time of my next report.
https://inaturalist.nz/projects/gahnia-grove-site-summary-and-discussion/journal/37415-methodology-trial-report-for-year-two

Thank you so much pisum

I didn’t look up the Markdown yet, but hopefully this code will survive in iNat for a while anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.