Is there a "Community Taxon" for observations with multiple organisms in different photos?

There are other topics re the box for “is the community taxon as good as it can be,” but I still have a lingering question. For observations with multiple photos of different organisms, can there even be a communtiy taxon? Some people check the box when the only ID is at State of Matter Life and there is no community taxon, so I’ve always wondered whether the question in the box is even applicable at that point. Is it worth it for anyone to try to get to a community taxon (in this case

2 Likes

Lately instead of the “common denominator”, such as “Asteraceae” for an observation with 2 photos showing 2 different of sunflower family species, I’ve been just IDing as “Life” instead. “Life” can be considered the community taxon, yes. It takes two IDers for a community taxon to appear on the right side of the page. Once two people ID as Life, and the “as good as it can be” box is checked, it’ll move to Casual grade.

not directed at you, but others:
For other discussion about these types of multi-species/photo observations, see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/easy-way-to-mark-multiple-species-observations/278/ and this prepared response to the observer: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/responses#multiple

2 Likes

Interesting. This looks like I wrote a post previously today, which I didn’t. Is this a quote of my words from somewhere else?

1 Like

This came through as a normal, new topic.

1 Like

That is strange. I think I did write about that sometime in the past. There is a June 5 date next to it, so I wonder what happened. Anyway, I like your answer–it saves time for everyone to get observations out of State of Matter Life faster.

2 Likes

I guess that’s good for fishing for agreements; any identifier can agree to “Life” where as not all of them know Asteraceae. It seems less good in terms of the observation’s “usefulness” as part of data… although I don’t know if anyone ever would want to use data on general Asteraceae and care whether or not this single observation makes it in.

2 Likes

But then someone else may come along and add Asteraceae and a dissenting vote in the DQA (to move the community ID to Asteracea). And while there are two dissenting DQA votes, a 3rd person comes along and misses that there are two species and IDs it as just one, and before you know it it’s agreed with and you have both photos mistakenly IDed as 1 species.

I’m probably missing something, but it doesn’t really seem that it’s reducing the amount of things that get to wrong CID any more than just using a comment re: multiple species (for the benefit of both the observer & subsequent IDers) & IDing as the LCD to begin with would.

I always comment; they’re not mutually exclusive actions. A dissenting Life ID following a finer ID will require at least 2 additional IDs before it moves the observation taxon off Life.

Oh, Life “following a finerID”!

I thought you meant Life on an unknown with multiple species photos where there is a coarse ID LCD (e.g, on the example, Life instead of Asteraceae on a Unknown with 2 photos of different species of sunflowers)

That makes more sense.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.