Is there a way to filter for all my observations of a taxa that have comments?

I’ve recently had some great ID discussions on some of my sedge observations which another user who has helpfully questioned some of my sedge IDs (and let’s face it, there are probably more of my sedge IDs which could use helpful disagreeing IDs , sedges are HARD)… I wanted to be able to filter for just the observations with comments. I thought i remembered a way to do this but can’t find it. Anyone know?

3 Likes

Wasn’t there a way to do this with one of @pisum’s tools?

1 Like

This might be a start – how to find comments in observations made to you or by you (originally posted by jwidness): https://www.inaturalist.org/comments?utf8=✓&q=%40charlie&commit=Search

3 Likes

i think the stuff i’ve made only tangentially addresses the situation described here. if you want to get only specific observations with comments, i think you’d have to go through the API to get a set of observations either with taxon = sedges or which have sedge IDs (i’m not sure exactly which situation is being requested here), and probably by a specific observer or identified by a specific identifier (again, not sure what exactly the need is). then you’d have to use some sort of scripting language or tool probably to parse through the results to find just the observations have have comments (and maybe notes on identifications, too, depending on the need), perhaps written by specific users.

there might be ways to sort of approximate this by looking for comments by certain folks related to “sedges”, but this wouldn’t be as precise a method for getting such results, i think.

1 Like

Yep, as long as @charlie remembers a keyword from the discussion (in the other user’s replies or his own).

At least Charlie’s discussion was recent, per his initial post.

Or for @charlie to filter his own observations by taxon, in a list view, and then look for the little speech bubble (assuming comments weren’t left inside an ID).

2 Likes

Unfortunately there is no way to fetch only observations having activities (identifications and comments) with some notes.
For my downloader tool I’ve added a checkbox to filter silent identifications, but, of course, it has to download every observation first. Also it doesn’t omit observations without activities.

1 Like

This is what i ended up doing, but it didn’t work very well because i have a ton of sedge observations and most don’t have comments. I guess at least it helped remedy the feeling when i get a few comments that ‘all my sedge IDs are wrong’ as it really was just a few of them.

I could set up a traditional project ‘helpful ID discussions’ or something, but it wouldn’t be easy to go find the old ones.

I did see I could search my own comments for ‘sedge’ which worked decently, but then the link is only set up to link that own user’s comments so i couldn’t send it to my friend because it would show her observations with comments, not mine.

That’s a shame.

Or, the helpful comments were inside IDs, which both doesn’t create a speech bubble and also doesn’t show up in the comments link @m_whitson posted.

…Or that bug about comments not showing up on observation pages from 2020 and 2021 is back.

2 Likes

For the future, you could add a tag to those observations of yours with extra good ID notes (ex. " Good comments re Carex grayii" or whatever) and then search for those when you need them again.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.