Is there a way to search for endemic species

I was just wondering if there was a way to see all of the iNaturalist observations for the endemic species of a certain region.

1 Like

As far as I know you can only filter by natives. You’ll have to modify the URL manually to do this. Instructions are here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/how-to-use-inaturalists-search-urls-wiki/63#heading--taxon--status

2 Likes

Looks like you can do natives and endemics, but not just endemics. Not sure why that would be though.

1 Like

I started a discussion about this a couple of years back. Might be worth looking through that thread. Not sure if much has changed regarding this topic.

One of the issues is that the ‘endemic’ status isn’t automatically assigned, it has to be manually assigned, so many endemic species are not labeled as such.

2 Likes

This is also the case with ‘native’ and ‘introduced’, they all have to be manually added

2 Likes

Yep, that’s been the subject of conversation as well.

And there are issues with species that are regionally (national or state/province level) listed as threatened, endangered, etc but aren’t listed as such (or have a different status) on the global datasets.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.