Is there a way to see all the places I've created? and can I transfer ownership of places?

I’d like to be able to get a list of all the places I’ve created just to make sure that they all still need to be out there. Does anyone know of an easy way to do that?

And is there a way to transfer ownership of places?

While I’m asking questions, is there an easy way to look for other places that overlap my place?

As part of my cleanup, I’d probably make sure that fewer of my places don’t have checklists enabled. (I didn’t realize until recently what exactly that meant, and I don’t need those in most cases.)

6 Likes

I have the same problems, I created a number of places but I don’t remember the exact text string I used so I can’t find them anymore, is the creator id saved together with the place somewhere on iNat db?

3 Likes

Seen that this thread is created, can I expand it to -

Can I share my places?

For instance: We have a list of all popular diving sites in southern Africa. GPS does not work under water, and some sites are “secret” or commercially sensitive, so a standardized list makes sense. How can I share this list of a few hundred sites with other southern African divers?

The list is here: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/seakeys-s-afr/journal/13804-standard-positions-for-seakeys-dive-sites
All we need is a way to make these standard places.

2 Likes

I’m interested in knowing about this as well. I’ve created a few places for State Parks, for example, because they didn’t appear to exist on iNat yet and I was interested in keeping track of what people observe along the trails I hike frequently. However, if any State Park official would come along and ask for ownership of those places, I’d be happy to pass it on to them if that is possible.

1 Like

Given the message on the “places” page about places slowing down iNat and potential restrictions in the future it seems that “my places” link similar to “my projects” is needed so that curation can be handled more easily.

I am planning on deleting a few of the places I have created and I think I know where most of them are but maybe not all. I know this topic is already over a year old but I couldn’t find anything in the forums that addressed this other than here. Thanks.

To my knowledge, there is no way for non-staff to query the database for places created by a particular user. You also can’t share or transfer “ownership” of a place.
You can use the API to find places that contain a particular lat/lon, or that are within a particular bounding box (also possible using the Explore map), but you can’t find places that intersect with another place.

If you’d like to see some of these implemented, please submit a feature request.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.