Is this the proper way to protect a Caretta Caretta nest?

Hello, during this summer a Caretta Caretta nest has been found in the eastern coast of Sicily (precisely at coordinates 37.479443, 15.085544), right on the city’s beach. I won’t even talk about how much it is obviously either a lost turtle or the effects of tropicalization due to climate changes, because that’s out of the topic (Yes, there are sea turtles in those seas but not even in the wildest dreams so close to civilization!)

Anyway, some naturalist organization was alerted and protected the spot with some fences as you can see in the enclosed pictures. My question is: is this the right way to do it?
I am aware that as soon as they hatch they will instinctively reach for the sea, but how could they with the fences? As you can see the “outer” fence doesn’t reach the sand, leaving a couple of centimeters that maybe could room newborn turtles, but the “inner” fence, which is the one I’m assuming hosts the nest, is totally locked down! The place is guarded by people and I can’t assume they will send people on the estimated day of hatching to free the fence (which would be the best course of events).

What do you think about it? Are little turtles capable to find their way out even with this protection?
Thanks for your opinions.

Welcome to the Forum!

My guess would be that the people who are protecting the nest know what they are doing. There are many groups all over the world that would be happy to share information with them.

Also if they know when the mother turtle created the nest, they will know roughly when the eggs will hatch. And I expect the people are checking every day to make sure all seems well so far.

It would help a lot when it comes to hatching time if there are no bright artificial lights inland near the area so that the hatchlings go towards the sea, not towards the light or lights.

@sterconium - Hello, this looks safe for the incubation period, especially if people are also guarding the area as you mention. The hatching/emergence period can be easily calculated. I would hope that the nest is closely monitored at that time, fencing removed and the hatchlings can make their own way into the sea immediately after emerging without being disturbed by e.g. bright lights and the observing public can be kept at a safe distance. If you are interested - this is what we do here: http://pawikanpatrol.com
Just wondering - there seems to be no nest marker, do you know if the batch is still in the original location? How far from the sea is it? Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.