Just for fun: What species is your observations range map?

I thought it would be fun to look for species whose ranges were similar to the map of my iNat observations.

For example, here’s my observations map:

Some species which have similar ranges…
Carex gynandra

Micranthes virginiensis (except it skips Nova Scotia)

How about yours? What species’ range maps are most similar to your observations map?

3 Likes

I have a feeling that people who travel less / more locally are going to have an easier time with this. I’m having trouble thinking of species found in the NJ/NY area which are also in Israel, but not other places, and also maybe in Spain…

The solution is obvious: I must choose a species currently endemic to one of those places, and smuggle it to every place I’ve previously observed.

11 Likes

Hooded Crow

vs all

Other than Egypt places without crows are there only because those are old travels without original photos I can use.

5 Likes

SA Obs.PNG
My Observations (Yet to make one outside of the Eastern Cape! that needs to change soon.)

erica chamissonis.PNG
The map for Erica chammisonis looks fairly similar, although I did not dig too deeply to find better match

5 Likes

It may not look like it, but there are 223 observations here.
Screenshot 2020-12-01 085542

2 Likes

How would you easily find this out? Especially with my map which is basically just a few cluster points around North Georgia and the Florida Panhandle?

5 Likes

Check species with the highest numbers for you.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for a while but no species appears to match my observation map:
I think it’s mainly because of the habitat differences. The only species that I found that overlapped in the same area were ones that are widespread throughout the eastern U.S.

One thing you might consider is trying to find multiple species/taxa whose ranges might approximate yours when superimposed on top of each other

E.g. Yonahlossee Salamander (Plethodon yonahlossee) + Yellow-blotched Map Turtle (Graptemys flavimaculata) + …

Note that these are the first examples of ranges I could find that seem to approximate parts of your map. I’m sure you can find better ones.

Superimposing more localized species/taxa could provide more flexibility and lead to some cool range map mash-ups!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.