Library app/Metadata/Organizing for sound recordings?

I’m just starting to get into sound recordings. It’s so cool!

But I wish I could figure out how to save and retrieve metadata for the recordings. The two most important fields would be date/time and location. It would also be nice to organize them by, say, species, or categories (i.e., birds, etc.) I guess what I really want is Lightroom for sound recordings.

How do folks here deal with this? Any suggestions?

2 Likes

I just take videos to record sounds, which have the metadata included. I then convert them to audio-only files, losing the data in the process, but I still have the originals and can copy it over. It’s a bit annoying but it works. I’m using a camera without GPS functionality, so I already manually add location data and the date/time is all that matters. I imagine this would not work for someone using a phone to take video, using the iNat app to make sound recordings, or many other situations; it’s just what I do.

2 Likes

I use Recforge 2 for recording in my android phone. I think the date and time will be the file name. I manually change it to species name and date. I then take it to computer and arrange there.

1 Like

These are really good suggestions, and I’m trying them out. Thank you!

I also got another suggestion, for an app called TagSpaces. It can be used to categorize sound recordings by keywords, as well as music, photos, and some others I don’t remember. The standard version is free - in the Pro version ($50) you can geotag files and add descriptions (and do a lot of other things, but those are the things that matter to me.) So it’s kinda like Lightroom, at least as far as cataloging and organizing. I’m also going to try that, will report back on how it works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.