Looking to upgrade my nature photography camera

My experience is that this is the kind of thing you expect to be a problem, and then discover is an advantage. A DSLR is unfamiliar at first, but with experience faster.

(If I didn’t already have various equipment, I’d probably be deciding between a DSLR and mirrorless. I expect I’d end up at mirrorless, but I’m not sure. I don’t think I’d even consider other options.)

Depends a lot on your preferred subject size ‘range’, but a versatile zoom on a decent DSLR with a Raynox 250 in your vest pocket will go a long way in covering nearly all the bases and there’s no need to remove the lens from the camera in the field. Save the lens changing for much safer locales.

Well, you’re right, but when you search for lenses you can use “macro” and you will get results of things that fit it, then you check what people are getting with that lens, or open gear forums and read there, you’re right that stacked-up super macro shots aren’t needed for a good id shot, it’s pretty much useless if you need to take 20 shots of a moving insect in one position to get a shot, so sleeping, dead or extremely lazy insects are good objects for such set ups. Personally I got insect obsession when I only had 24-120mm nikkor lense and started rethinking my words to my husband that I didn’t need macro when we decided on buying it, so we had to spend more on 105mm which is 1:1 and more than enough for most insects and with ok camera shots are easily cropped still looking fine.

Just read about the new 58mm 2X macro lens that Laowa just announced.

First, you have to be okay with a manual lens, but it seems squarely aimed at the macro market, both in design and pricing.

If interested, check out:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/5708033182/venus-optics-announces-499-laowa-58mm-f2-8-2x-ultra-macro-apo-for-four-mirrorless-mounts

And YouTube: https://youtu.be/VqpjAK2Cvro

Hmm. Looks like I might have to get off the naughty list in time for Christmas.

But, I don’t know. Right now I’ve been really enjoying playing with the used Powershot SX-540/Raynox 250 combo. The working distance is much better than I expected for macro. At least 8 inches for most of the range. Plus, you still have autoexposure/focus (though I shut that off for most macro stuff). I also have discovered it’s best to use step up or down filter adapter to attach the Raynox, rather than the clip-on. I’ve already had nearly one disaster with it falling off to a rock after being clipped by a branch. It survived, but it made me switch.

This combo gets some real magnification with full zoom pushing it close to 1.5x. Anything higher than 1 is for field purposes, tripod only. So it’s working quite well.

1 Like