Mammal Matchup 2022

After seeing the Migration Madness 2022 in the forum, I was inspired to create a mammal version, for all of the mammals in Canada! Since there are tons of species, for the next week or so, we will be narrowing down families (rodents, canines, felines, etc), and once we are left with only a couple of families, we will begin narrowing down species! I will post about eight families daily for the next little while, and you can pick two from each group of four. As time goes on, you will have the option to pick one from each group of two that I post (of two groups), and once we get into specific species, it will reach one choice out of two, unless the group is large and we have to do more daily at the start. When we reach the last few days of the event, you will be forced to make heart-wrenching decisions between two of what may be some of your favourite mammals! I am not sure how long this matchup will last, but I am guessing about 15 days. I will try my best to post daily, but with a busy schedule, I may miss a day here and there, so I will post two to compensate for the day I miss if that happens. Let’s go!

5 Likes

Today’s matchup: (choose two families from each group of four families)

Chiroptera (bats)
Rodents (squirrels, rats, mice, beavers, porcupines, groundhogs, marmots, gophers)
Mustelids (mink, stoat, long-tailed weasel, fishers, martens, otters, badgers, wolverines)
Procyonidae (raccoons)

Cetaceans (whales, dolphins, porpoises)
Pinnipeds (seals, sea lions, walruses)
Even-toed Ungulates (deer, moose, elk, caribou, mountain goats, big horn sheep, bison)
Canines (foxes, coyotes, wolves)

Great idea – really looking forward to this :)

Chiroptera
Mustelidae
Cetacea
Pinnipedia

(I can already see myself having difficulties choosing between marine mammals…)

1 Like

I’m already having trouble choosing…

1 Like

Nice! should be fun

Rodentia
Mustelidae
Cetacea
Canidae – are we doing all carnivores or just canines?

1 Like

Just canines today, but more carnivore groups coming soon!

Chiroptera (bats)
Rodents (squirrels, rats, mice, beavers, porcupines, groundhogs, marmots, gophers)

1 Like

pikas (like rabbits and hares) are lagomorphs, not rodents

2 Likes

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. I always associated pikas with marmots, so I got that mixed up! I also saw something on “Google”, which said pikas were rodents, so I must have trusted a misleading source! Just fixed it now.

1 Like

Rodentia
Mustelidae
Cetacea
Pinnipedia

1 Like

Rodents
Mustelids

Cetaceans
Even-toed Ungulates

1 Like

Chiroptera (bats)
Mustelids (mink, stoat, long-tailed weasel, fishers, martens, otters, badgers, wolverines)

1 Like

Chiroptera
Mustelidae
Cetacea
Canidae

1 Like

Chrioptera
Procyonidae

Cetaceans
Canines

1 Like

Today’s matchup: (choose two families from each group of four families again)- Last day of this format before we start to have previous winners clash against others to make it to the next round!

Felines (feral cats, lynx, bobcats, cougars)
Lagomorphs (rabbits, hares, pikas)
Insectivora (shrews, moles)
Mephitidae (skunks)

Ursidae (bears)
Marsupials (opossums)
Apes (humans)
Odd-toed Ungulates (wild horses)

Felines (feral cats, lynx, bobcats, cougars)
Mephitidae (skunks)

Ursidae (bears)
Marsupials (opossums)

1 Like

Felines
Insectivora

Marsupials
Ursidae

1 Like

Felidae
Lagomorpha
Marsupialia
Hominoidea

1 Like

We need one more vote for today, as we have a few groups tied up!

Lagomorpha
Mephitidae

Marsupials
Odd-toed Ungulates

1 Like