Metadata: how to add a taxon name that is picked up by iNat on upload?

Prospectively, I would agree with using a photo app to do keywording, but for those with historical sets of images which could be got in the right format with a little work, exiftool can be useful.

The discussion in this thread so far goes well beyond my knowledge- I just add keywords in lightroom and had read you could do the same in darktable. If I tag a photo in lightroom with the keyword “Fraxinus” in lightroom, export the jpeg and then upload it- it (usually) automatically pops in “fraxinus” as an identification.

Thank you, er1kksen :-) I tried adding keywords on Darktable but that gave me a picture of 0 bytes and an xml sidecar. I clearly did something wrong. Anyway, the R code (including exiftool code) that ripleyrm has given me works perfectly - she is very clever and the code adds the name from my photo name, and then strips all metadata except the date and subject (keyword). As long as I have written the taxon name out in full, it populates the name field on iNat.

Unfortunately, I have often used abbreviations that probably only I can understand, so I will be more diligent in future about writing the names out in full.

I think a tutorial with the ways of doing this in various programs should be added to the forum. Will get a Round Tuit at some point unless some kind soul gets a Round Tuit first ;-)

Just to be clear- are you exporting jpegs from darktable to upload, or just organizing and keywording existing jpegs in darktable? Darktable (and other non-destructive editors like lightroom) doesn’t embed any data or otherwise alter your input files (it uses the xml sidecar to save that information), but new jpegs that you output using the export function are what additional data like gps info and keywords are embedded into (in the exif) by these programs (you may have to enable some of the embedding on export in your settings on darktable, it’s default in lightroom).

Ah okay. Was not exporting, just saving. Thank you! Will give this a bash when I have some time over the weekend and let you know how I get on :-)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.