Moth Trapping in NC

Where are some of the best places to go moth trapping in North Carolina?

Welcome to the Forum! I have no clue, but someone here will.

I know very little about moth trapping in NC, but I would guess that some of the same things apply anywhere, basically:

1. Try to get away from city lights and street lights as best as you can. In other words, get out into a dark area.

2. Try to get away from fields or orchards or other areas which are likely to have been sprayed with insecticides.

3. Pick an area that has two or three different wild habitat types all fairly close together, such as, for example: woodland, marshland, and grassland.

4. Consider whether or not you need to run your light off of your car battery, in which case you will need to be able to park near where you want to set up.

5. Although it is tempting to set up in a nature preserve, first off you may not be allowed to trap any creatures in the preserve (check and find out about this), and also you quite likely may need permission to do an “event” like this in a preserve after dark.

I am sure that other posters will have more suggestions, and probably better ones too.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.