Nonsense word "Dokončit" instead of "Complex" in scientific aggregate names on the Czech web

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Firefox

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/55911-Rubus-fruticosus

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: Set your browser language to Czech.

Step 2: Open https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/55911-Rubus-fruticosus

Step 3: See Dokončit instead of Complex. Dokončit means “to finalize”, it is a verb infinitive.

Please note that the Czech common name is correct: Okruh Ostružiníku Křovitého albeit incorrectly capitalized. The scientific name is wrong.

I guess it’s something from crowdin and you can fix it there.

I have no idea what that would be.

hi @vladimir_fuka, welcome to the iNat Forum. Anyone can help with translation on iNaturalist - you can read more about how to do so here https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/translate

1 Like

I’ve just suggested a correction. It’s “komplex”, right?

Yes, komplex should be fine. I mean, it is in the scientific name so I am not sure what is the actual intention (I am used to agg. in botany). The Czech common name was already OK.

Perhaps the same word Okruh used for that in the Czech common name would be more consistent? But I am really not sure why there is a translated word in there.

“Complex” is not a part of the scientific name.

1 Like

It refers to the species complex around Rubus fruticosus, since the species are either poorly delimited or not easily distinguished, and hybridize frequently. So while it’s not part of the actual Latin binomial, it’s part of the iNaturalist taxon name.

I wonder if this was a placeholder somebody accidentally left in because they didn’t yet have the word for “complex” in this sense?

The translation was added by kueda. I think he might have confused it with “Complete”, which is translated as “Dokončit”. Which, by the way, was also added by him and I guess it’s also wrong, since “complete” there is used as adjective.

1 Like

I do understand what is meant by Complex here (I hope I am able to recognize some sections or series of this particular one although I am no batologist) and I do understand that it is not a part of the actual scientific name of the species. It is just displayed in the “scientific name” field. However, I am used to “Rubus fruticosus agg.” instead, where “agg.” would not be translated.

So what I was not sure about is what was the intention of having the word “Complex” translated and why should the translation be different from the word “Okruh” used in the Czech common name.

Having retought it, I am now quite convinced the translation should be “Okruh” in the same way it is in the common name.

At least complex translated in other languages in literature when not used in taxonomical lists (botany is little different, so I can imagine agg. used right in text), as well as in speech, so why won’t it be translated, I never in my life use “complex”, but I know well what “комплекс видов” is.

Maybe someone else will explain it better, but it’s different case with the word “complex” and abbreviations like agg., sp., spp. etc.

I’m not Czech, so I don’t know why the word “okruh” is used. I googled its meaning but it looks like a rather loose translation to me. And there seems to be a proper Czech counterpart for “species complex” and it’s “druhový komplex” .

@ondrejzicha @rubroboletus Any comment on the right translation? Any other Czech pingable here?

Older translations that were imported from the previous platform (Translatewiki) were all credited to kueda, but he didn’t do the actual translations.

1 Like

Ah, I kind of thought it might be the case. That makes sense.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.