Northern flicker vs Northern red shafter flicker

I came across 3 within the last 2 days, where Inaturalist was not suggesting the ssp of red shafted. I had to type it out for it to recognize the species.

the latest one
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/185442688

once it’s accepted as research grade, the option to correct it is no longer available.

1 Like

I think iNaturalist no longer suggests subspecies/varieties. Looks like the IDers got that one where it should be.

2 Likes

@sedgequeen is correct. iNat does not suggest anything below the species level.

Subspecies can be a contentious topic and the same discussions tend to happen over and over each time a thread about subspecies is started. So anyone curious to know more about different stances on subspecies designations should search the many existing threads.

To name just a few:
Thoughts on Subspecies?
Subspecies. How useful are they?
Improve support / workflow for subspecies?
Question Regarding Subspecies Identification

7 Likes

Can you clarify what you mean by this? You’re always able to withdraw/add a new identification, whether its your own observation or someone else’s.

5 Likes

in the example i provided. I could not “Upgrade” the Id to its sub species… Inat would not even provided it in the suggestions. I had to type it out to have the option available. and then it did not change the “research status”… but as I am being informed , it’s standard with INat.

I did not know that.

If more people add IDs at subspecies level, it will upgrade.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.