Northern Hemisphere Spring 2022 Phenology Discussion

First lizard (S cowlesi), wasp (Sphex lucae, Polistes aurifer and dominula), and Mourning Cloak of 2022 today in New Mexico

1 Like

Tapped Maples yesterday, instant sap in some. I think it partly depends on sunshine on the trunk.
Juncos have gone north.
Huron Manistee National Forest area, mid-Michigan.

1 Like

Tonight, the Sierra Chorus Frogs are definitely a chorus. All winter, I would hear occasional ones, but now the night air is full of their singing.

2 Likes

Red-winged Blackbirds and Gadwalls have arrived in my area.

2 Likes

I saw the first bees I have seen this year today, on Japanese cherry trees here in Washington DC. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/107836693

2 Likes

Spring has officially reached Ohio - Trillium nivale are blooming as of today: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/107986637

2 Likes

The small elm tree, an American Elm I think, that is visible out my back window here in NYC is ready to flower – the buds are very big and slightly pink already.

Several more migrant birds have arrived - Wood Ducks, Killdeer, Sandhill Cranes, Cackling Geese, Northern Flickers, and Common Grackles. I also saw some daffodils starting some up through the snow. Not a native plant but nice to see them anyways.

1 Like

I saw a Flower Fly yesterday here in the plantings outside our building in NYC, but it flew off before I could snag an image of it.

2 Likes

in Washington the Salmonberry and Red Flowering Currents are flowering, and the birds are out more often than they have been. i have also see that it is less cold than it has been.

2 Likes

Brought in 10 gallons of maple sap, and reset taps. Now we need to thaw it out. Should be in full swing by the weekend.:crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

Big milestone today! Species Spotlight – Sandia Hairstreak and Beargrass - Pollinator Web

3 Likes

In my garden, peach tree is getting really close to flowering. Nearby, apricot and plum trees are already blooming. Around the state, I’m seeing more pictures of spring wildflowers like tansymustard, bladderpod, and early shaggytuft.

1 Like

The only new thing I’ve seen is Canada Geese. Oh, and a raptor, probably Cooper’s hawk.

1 Like

This week, I noticed the Big Leafed Maples and Sycamores are leafing out. Live oaks have been putting out new leaves for a few weeks and now their “flowers” are pretty well developed.

1 Like

retail workers know that spring has arrived when they suddenly get multiple customers a day asking, “Where would I find the bug spray?”

1 Like

My bearded irises saw the calendar flip and started sending up flower stalks. Wildflowers are still pretty slow here after a warm, dry winter.

The maple sap is running again. Now it’s a race before it turns “buddie”. I have seen the tiny brave shoots of day lilies and daffodils, squills and columbines, but it’s still cold, and I am resisting uncovering them. As always the plants good at microclimate are doing well, wintergreen,wood fern,partridge berry.
And the road is perpetual mud and deep ruts.
Edit: later that morning…
Took my walk, sorry no photos, but the blue flag irises have green tips up. The mosses of yellow greens are having a brightness contest, and those with bright blue green lichens are spectacular. The lichens are having their own challenge, I’m sure.

1 Like

Copied from LinkedIn:
A paper (The great acceleration of plant phenological shifts https://rdcu.be/cKXe7) published Wednesday. If you don’t have time or don’t like the dryness of scientific research, the attached graphic does a fine job.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.