Notifications on iNaturalist - Please Share Your Ideas!

I was referring to identifications done for others, but it’s true, I don’t need those kinds of notifications for my own observations, either. Given how many observations some users have, I can definitely see why the ability to turn them off is appealing

2 Likes

You can unfollow the observations of others on a case-by-case basis after making an identification.

1 Like

Very true, but also kind of onerous. My point is that it’d be nice to have the option in settings do that automatically for certain taxa.

3 Likes

Sorry–that just didn’t sink in at first. I agree–that’s a good idea.

2 Likes

if it’s not overly a burden on the servers, then I would appreciate that too. Any fine tuning of alerts received is going to make IDing easier and faster, allowing more to be ID’d. For an expert, I can see the benefit of turnign them off or ignoring them, but for us “learners”, we rely on the alerts to see our “learning opportunities”!

4 Likes

My request for an explicit “f” = Follow and “u” = Unfollow in the Identify page could also be useful to
@tsn @charlie @bouteloua, etc (and 8 other new goodies)
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-10-new-hot-keys-to-the-identify-page-to-speed-reviewers-efforts-improve-data-quality/3122

5 Likes

some more thoughts…
4. in the dashboard, i’d also like a way to view things with small photos as they are now (like List view in Explore), or with larger photos by default (like Grid view in Explore).
5. i’d also like to be able to take certain actions on the observations from the dashboard. at a minimum, maybe add ways to agree, ID, comment, and review. but i think it would be really cool if there was an actions pane where i could pre-define some “action sets”. for example, you could pre-define a single action like agree, or something more complicated like ID as Plestiodon + comment “cannot be IDed to species without a better view of facial scales” + annotate as Adult + add to a Plestiodon project + reviewed. then the action sets could be accessed from an action menu on each observation, or an observation could be dragged over to an action set in the actions pane to apply the action(s) (or vice versa, with the action set dragged over to the observation). (if the “streams” idea, borrowed from Jive, was implemented, it would be cool to be able to have different action sets per stream.)
6. i’d like the “reviewed” indicator to show up on the dashboard and tell me whether i marked this before or after the last action to the observation. if i marked review before the last action, and i marked review again, then the observation would then show up as reviewed after the last action.
7. lastly, i think it would be cool if actions could be taken from the notification e-mails.

2 Likes

Make sure notifications with substance, such as comments posted, persist somewhere after they are clicked. That way you can go back to them later. It’d be good to have that for anything on the main site, like mentions too, just not for things we have on the forum such as likes. A list or page with all observations that you are following would be good.

2 Likes

You can find this on your dashboard under Subscriptions and then Observations

1 Like

I agree. I would also like to see complete comments (whether attached to an ID or not) included right in the notifications page, so that there is no need to open the observation to see them unless more context is desired.

2 Likes

And for those of us who choose not to get notifications of confirming IDs, I would like my ID displayed on the notifications page as well, so that I don’t have to open the observation for no reason. As here:

I received the notification despite it being in complete agreement with my own identification, but I had to open it to make sure I hadn’t made a mistake. If my ID had been included on the notifications page I wouldn’t have had to open it.

2 Likes

Hey folks, just an update: now that things have finally calmed down after CNC and the “spring bump”, we’ve started to turn our attention to the notifications revamp. Because this will be a reworking of a major part of iNaturalist, it will take quite some time so please be patient, and thank you for all of your feedback!

15 Likes

Thank you for letting us know.

2 Likes

The above referred to comments, but I want to add that this would make it easier on people who opt-out of confirming IDs, but still get non-disagreeing identifications below the level of their ID, by helping them evaluate whether they want to open the observation to view it. (An example would be a plant that I am comfortable identifying only to genus level, but others ID to species and/or subspecies.) Having one’s own ID on the notification itself would streamline the process of going through notifications by making it unnecessary to go in and out of the observations themselves to make sure there’s no real disagreement.

5 Likes

This has probably been discussed somewhere and I just can’t find it in a search. (Feel free to point me to previous discussions.)

So many people write informative journal posts that I would like to follow them, but I don’t care to see their every observation on my update feed. Is there a way, or future plans, to follow just journal posts?

Thanks,
Kimberlie

5 Likes

hiya, just a heads up that I moved your feature request to this topic about notification/dashboard improvements

4 Likes

I agree with this. It would be nice if we could refine what we follow in other ways too–such as following a person’s observations in a particular taxa and/or geographical area, instead of all of them.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned, and am uninclined to read the entire thread to confirm, but it would be nice to subscribe for notifications on a taxa, but only for flags placed on them.

5 Likes

Don’t know if this correct place for this. Dashboard. I’ve read there’s a concise dashboard or used to be one. Is there? Where is it? Would like a dashboard that duplicated notifications as they are nice and concise, but you don’t get all of them when you open it up again.

1 Like

I don’t need 6 notifications that this is a Mediterranean red bug. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9291258 One or two should suffice.

See also the somewhat related Create a way to unfollow one’s own observations, though I’d still like to get notifications comments/faves/etc on this one.

6 Likes