Is there an easy way to open all notifications?

Title says it all: when I wake up to 100+ notifications, I don’t want to manually open each in a new tab. Is there an easy way to open them all? It’s especially annoying when most of them get error 429 “too many requests”.

4 Likes

I don’t think you’d want this… opening 100+ tabs at once is a bad idea for your computer, just ask Google Sheets, they limited it to 50.

3 Likes

I mean, I’d be happy to be able to open fifty of them. How would I go about doing this?

Control click? There isn’t such a feature.

I hope this is something taken into account by the redesigned notification UI that’s been in the works for some time now (see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/notifications-on-inaturalist-please-share-your-ideas/374/48). I also frequently want to open each new notification in a tab to make sure that I don’t overlook any of them.

5 Likes

I do open nearly of mine. But have learnt to Unfollow this obs so I don’t get notified when the next 10 people agree etc. That shortens my list to a useful length.

2 Likes

But then you won’t get notifications for comments unless someone tags you! That’s the only downside to that feature in my opinion.

I find iNat quite persistent and determined with notifications.
When I click for unsubscribe it says brightly - you have already unsubscribed. (Not always, but often)

suppose you get 100 notifications for 100 observations. why are you wanting to open each observation (notification) in a new tab?

• are you actually reviewing each one of the observations in detail?
  • are you just wanting to see slightly more detailed information than what the notifications box will currently display? (if so, what is the information you are looking for? in other words, suppose you could lay out all the notifications / observations in a table with each notification or observation representing a row in that table. what columns would want to exist in that table?)
  • are you simply trying to clear the notifications?
2 Likes

I always open all of my notifications, for the reasons:

If it is a comment, I want to read the comment and perhaps reply if I feel the need to.

If it is an ID, I want to know if they disagree with me, are refining my ID, or are adding a coarser ID.

5 Likes

I don’t always open every single notification; I will usually skip identifications for common species where I can tell from the little pop-up that the taxon identification hasn’t changed. But I want to see anything where the taxon has changed from where I left it, and I want to see all comments, and for non-common species I often look even at matching identifications (maybe mine was an educated guess and I want to learn a little more about the identifier to see how likely I think they were to get it right, maybe someone added a comment along with an ID).

Even this leaves me slightly unsatisfied, because I’m afraid I might miss comments that came along with matching IDs of common species. Hopefully the revised notification system will make it clear whenever the identifier included some text.

1 Like

assuming that you’re interested in following any observation that you’ve IDed, you could sort of get an idea of when things have changed by looking at the list of observations you’ve identified, ordering by update date descending. for example: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?ident_user_id=pisum&order_by=updated_at&place_id=any&subview=table.

now suppose that that list view of the observations also included a column that would display all comments and identifications for each observation, similar to what https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNat_print_friendly_obs.html can display:

would that be better than opening up each observation separately?

No, because then it will show all of the observations that I just identified, which I don’t want to see, as there have been no updates since I identified it.

1 Like

ok. then if you started with, say, what shows up in the notification screen (identifications and comments only) or the Android app notification feed and then added a column that shows the observation’s identification and comment history, then would that be enough to avoid the need to open up every observation?

I think this is really unrelated to the topic here… The point being that there is no easy way to open all notifications.

Your reply is probably better suited for the notifications thread that staff made.

no, that other thread contemplates what could be done if the notifications system was completely overhauled. i’m contemplating here would could be done with the existing pieces available to view notifications / observations one way or another.

2 Likes

Hm… I really don’t know. I think my original method suits me for now. Most of my issues stem from bugs that staff have said will be fixed in an update.

My reason is the same as zdanko’s:

If it is a comment, I want to read the comment and perhaps reply if I feel the need to.
If it is an ID, I want to know if they disagree with me, are refining my ID, or are adding a coarser ID.

The notification feed won’t let me see the full comment. It won’t let me know what their ID is in relation to mine (which may not be a problem for a common species observed recently, but a rare one of unknown genus, or observed months ago?). It won’t let me know whether annotations have been made or agreed/disagreed with. Which is why I open all the notifications, where all this information is provided on a single page.

3 Likes

ok. then why try to open 100 or even 50 up all at once? what’s wrong with opening up one by one?

1 Like

I agree. The main thing I want to see in a notification is whether my ID has changed among “improving,” “leading,” or “maverick” or hasn’t changed at all. Even after clicking “Show More” I often still don’t know the answer to that, so I have to go into the observations themselves, where those labels are used.

It’s very hard when looking at 50-100 or more observations to keep track of where I am in the list of notifications in my dashboard. There is no indication as to which have been opened up already, the notifications page doesn’t remember where I was last (which means a long time spent scrolling after going into and out of each observation), and it seems like the order of the notifications keeps changing while I’m opening notifications one at a time.

I think this will work for me. It still may re-order after each time I add something to one, but at least it solves the long scrolling problem because the information is so much more concise than on the notifications page.Thank you!

2 Likes