Observation of tick found pressed in a book

This morning while reading one of my books, I found a very flat, very dead Ixodes scapularis - Eastern Black-legged Tick.

Should this be marked as captive? Or as not recent evidence (which I think is meant for fossils)?

I feel like it should be casual.

I’d be inclined to make this wild, presumably the tick got in there under it’s own power, unless you suspect he was captured and pressed like a flower. I would count this the same way I’d count finding anything else found dead, or anything accidentally transported.

12 Likes

I agree. Wild and recent. Mark as ‘dead’ in the annotations is all that’s needed I think.

7 Likes

Thirding. Unless someone put the tick there, I’m assuming it should be marked wild.

3 Likes

Agree with all above. And mark the location as where you were when you found it, not where you think the tick entered the book.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Yeah, seems like this would follow the same rules as things you find dead on windowsills, etc. - wild, dead, but still valid.

Unlike flower pressing, I don’t think tick pressing will catch on as a hobby.

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.