Observations showing as both "captive" AND "verifiable"

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?captive=true&place_id=any&subview=map&verifiable=true&view=species

When I searched for observations using both the “captive” and the “verifiable” tags, which ought to be mutually exclusive, it came up with a list of 1100+ observations. When I clicked through to look at the individual observations, it appears that they have all been voted captive in the DQA, but for some reason this vote did not result in the observation becoming casual, despite no counter-vote having been cast. When I added a second downvote, it then became casual, and remained so even after I removed my vote.

2 Likes

That is strange that there are Research Grade observations in those results. I was able to find some that do have a downvote for captive, but are still RG. Not all are though.

Captive and verifiable aren’t mutually exclusive though. Verifiable is a property of the data in the observation (has media, date, location) but captive is based on a judgment about the content. So it’s possible to have a verifiable, captive observation.

Whoops, totally wrong on my part!

I think you must be thinking of something else, captive definitionally means not verifiable…

3 Likes

Has this Bug been looked into? It was brought to my attention today that 47 observations that I have marked as captive recently have remained at research grade. I have left them alone in case it would be useful for the debugging process.

Pulled out the 2 (only two!) for Africa, and added another Not Wild. They are now Casual as they should be.

Reproduction conditions will be useful for getting to the bottom of this. Can you describe your typical identifying/marking workflow? Device, browser, steps.

@esummerbell, I see that several observations you identified (and presumably marked as not wild) a few weeks ago are in this category. Can you also describe your id/marking workflow?

If there are commonalities to how @bpagnier and @esummerbell are working, that would be helpful.

If anyone else comes up with replication steps, please chime in.

I have a macbook pro, and use the safari browser. In Identify, I start with the first observation, click on it to expand it, and work my way through all the observations using the right arrow key. On each observation I will generally have to zoom in on the picture using the touchpad to look over the observation, then I use the keyboard shortcuts to “a” agree, “x” mark captive, or if it is another organism, I use “i” to add an identification. At this point I have my computer set up using a program to automatically expand species names I frequently use based on abbreviations I type into the line. I then arrow down to select the species name it pulls up and select it. Depending on the photo quality and features shown in the photos, I might only have to spend a few seconds to identify each observation. at the end, a message pops up saying I have gone through all the observations on the page. I then click “mark all as reviewed.” (Sometimes a message does pop up at this time saying failed to save record, but at that point it is impossible to tell which observation in the list it is talking about. It still seems to mark all of the observations as reviewed regardless of if the record successfully saved or not.) I wait for the loading icon to complete, then I refresh the page to bring in more unreviewed observations.

1 Like