Observations showing as both "captive" AND "verifiable"

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): Website

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?captive=true&place_id=any&subview=map&verifiable=true&view=species

When I searched for observations using both the “captive” and the “verifiable” tags, which ought to be mutually exclusive, it came up with a list of 1100+ observations. When I clicked through to look at the individual observations, it appears that they have all been voted captive in the DQA, but for some reason this vote did not result in the observation becoming casual, despite no counter-vote having been cast. When I added a second downvote, it then became casual, and remained so even after I removed my vote.

1 Like

That is strange that there are Research Grade observations in those results. I was able to find some that do have a downvote for captive, but are still RG. Not all are though.

Captive and verifiable aren’t mutually exclusive though. Verifiable is a property of the data in the observation (has media, date, location) but captive is based on a judgment about the content. So it’s possible to have a verifiable, captive observation.

Whoops, totally wrong on my part!

I think you must be thinking of something else, captive definitionally means not verifiable…