Ohio spiderwort/Bluejacket confusion

I don’t think this is a bug, I’m just confused and hoping someone can help me be less confused.

I am relatively new around here. I’ve been identifying Tradescantia ohiensis as “Bluejacket”, and it’s come up fairly often because it’s the only spiderwort I can reliably identify. Today, in the android app and on the website, it’s showing as “Ohio spiderwort”, which fortunately was a name I’m familiar with.

…huh? What happened? Did the default common name change? If so, is there somewhere to find an explanation for that kind of thing?

For all I know this could happen all the time, and this is just the first I’ve noticed. :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I think the default name changed – looking in the curation history (accessible via the “curation” dropdown on the species page) https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/79383/history the taxon name priorities were moved around today. It doesn’t show exactly what names were moved where, but I assume this caused the change you’re seeing.

1 Like

looking in the curation history (accessible via the “curation” dropdown on the species page)

Oh, that’s where that is! Thanks! (I knew there had to be something like that somewhere…)

Now that I can look at the history to verify that I did not imagine that something changed, I expect I can tolerate not knowing everything.

2 Likes