Photo in record displays as tiny thumbnail pic

Apparently not a bug, but often when I page through a series of adjacent records on my own account, the photo in a record will display only as a tiny thumbnail image. If I click on that image it will then display at normal size. Seems to happen a lot as I flip through records. Is this just a problem with the photo loading on the page if I am going through a series of adjacent records quickly?

2 Likes

What interface/webpage are you using? Can you give some example addresses or screenshots?

1 Like

Windows 11 on laptop PC.

5 Likes

Meaning you’re using these buttons?

I can’t replicate when doing that with my own records, or with yours. However, your photos are all rights reserved, meaning they’re stored on a different server. That might have something to do with it?

The next time this happens, if you can open up your browser’s console and share a screenshot that includes the console that would be helpful.

1 Like

My photos are all CC BY-NC. Or the vast majority. This isn’t really a problem, just an occasional annoyance, and I was mostly curious if others see this when browsing through their own records. Doesn’t happen all the time or with every photo.

Yes, when I use the forward and back arrows, as you indicate. It’s almost as if my computer is not quite keeping up with loading the records. Time for a new computer?

Thanks.

1 Like

The same thing happens to me at times. It is usually when I upload new observations, then want to go through them to add annotations. My computer’s not very old, so I don’t think it is the age of the computer that causes it.

2 Likes

I recommend using the Identify page for that. It’s much faster.

I usually only upload a small number at once, so speed isn’t a major concern. But for future reference, how do I get to an identify screen for my own observations?

(Sorry, should have followed the link.) (Now I have and I am still unsure.)

Sorry, the tutorial I sent you to was for a different method. Here are the basics for using identify to annotate.

Here’s the URL I use to see my most recently uploaded observations: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?reviewed=true&quality_grade=needs_id%2Cresearch%2Ccasual&user_id=tiwane

Replace tiwane with your own username to see your own observations in the Identify page.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have saved the URL (with my own ID, obviously) and will give it a try next time I have a few observations to upload and annotate.

1 Like

I get this from time to time to the point where I’ve stopped acknowledging it as an actual occurrence .

1 Like

Yes, this has started happening to me too. It happens on both my laptop and my desktop, and it only started recently (within the past 6 months at most). It isn’t restricted to scrolling through my own observations, but also occurs when I scroll through someone else’s. I use chrome and I haven’t tried using a different browser to see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

I use Chrome also and I also started noticing this within last several months.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same behavior (tiny thumbnail view of image when clicking through my own recently uploaded observations) while using Mozilla Firefox.

1 Like

Happens to me too. I also use Chrome.

1 Like

After checking my observations for a while trying to replicate it, it finally happened. @tiwane

I’m using Firefox on a macbook, but I guess is probably not system related

In a small note I found it cool that the arrows show the next or previous taxa

4 Likes

i too have observed this happening pretty often when using those arrows mentioned.

1 Like

OK, apparently it was a bug and we did make an issue for it in August. A release has been fixed, let me know if you’re still running into the problem.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.