Pine cones in ceiling of condo

Is it dangerous to leave pine cones in the ceiling? We have gotten the squirrels out but they have hoarded hundreds of cones in several areas of the ceiling. I’m on the first floor of a 7 floor building. There are metal mouldings throughout the ceiling and the pine cones are trapped behind a few sections. I cannot reach them without making a hole in the ceiling. We have removed all we could reach but there are more still there. Does this create an unsafe situation?

this seems like the wrong forum to ask this question.

If not people who deal with nature, then who would have an answer? I’m new to this site and really need help.

What do you mean by “unsafe”? I’m afraid I don’t understand what outcome you are expecting.

1 Like

Pine cones will burn readily. So if there was a spark, you’d have a big problem.

1 Like

I’m hoping there would be no outcome. That leaving the pine cones in the ceiling would have no effect on anything. Unsafe, due to health issues, due to creating insect populations, due to anything. Is there any reason I should make holes in my ceiling to remove them.

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that!

If they are very resinous thay could encourage the growth of fungi that may eventually attack the wooden structure of the building, although such a scenario seems highly unlikely. Otherwise a harmless ecosystem of microscopic organisms could develop on the pine cones as they accumulate dust. I don’t think you have a lot to worry about

1 Like

Thank you so much for this information. I’m really hoping the consensus is as you suggest. I’ll see how many responses I get. I don’t think it’s a real issue, just checking with people who likely know more than me on this subject.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.