Place locality lists California but mapped in North Carolina

The location overview for https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/4180784 lists Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, San Gabriel, CA, US, in the location summary but the observation details and map show a North Carolina location.

Note just above the detail dialog box the California locale. Am I missing something? Could the Orange county, NC, be involved somehow? I realize this might not be a bug and might reflect a data entry error in Places, but I am unfamiliar with the Places functionality and did not know where else to post this, my apologies in advance! (observation was posted from an iPhone).

That’s probably an error in data entry. I marked the location in the Data Quality Assessment as inaccurate since it’s unclear whether the user made the observation in California or North Carolina. This dropped the observation as casual grade. We can wait for the user to clarify, but that doesn’t seem likely considering the user was last active in 2016.

1 Like

In this case, it is likely given their other observation to be in California. Please note however, you should not expect a guarantee of consistency between the mapped coordinates and the label. That label is a free text field that users can fill in anything they want.

3 Likes

Their one other observation has the same issue:

“That label” refers to the “Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, San Gabriel, CA, US” label while the details derive either from the photograph EXIF or from manual mapping? That would make sense as the drop down dialog box includes very specific lat/long coordinates which would not seem to be the result of typing in a free text field.

My thanks to @bouteloua for the excellent title edit!

In this case the pics for both records do not have gps data embedded in their exif. I’m simply guessing that a yucca is more viable in California that the mid-Atlantic.

1 Like

Thanks, I too could not find EXIF data in the photo file. Just for fun I tried dropping into street view at the NC location and did not see a yucca, not like I was expecting to see one. As I said, this might not be a bug and I now favor the explanation given by @cedric_lee that this is some sort of data entry error. A moderator can close this if they concur.

1 Like

It cant be proven without the user feedback, but it would not surprise me if they took the pics in California, but was in North Carolina when they did the entry. It is for sure not any kind of bug, it is behaviour / results that can be explained.

3 Likes