Please educate your students in proper procedures

The roots of this posting are the many observations on iNat that I have observed/confirmed of Rhododendrons. Nothing I have said in this post, or the reason it was posted, was meant to inflame anyone, or discourage anyone from posting. It was meant to encourage teachers to improve their skills in teaching their students well which was rooted in seeing several school projects from elementary to college level include cultivars and hybrids, poor location data, and noting whether it is wild or captive/cultivated. The examples I have used, are the reasons I made this post in the first place.

3 Likes

These are very much my sentiments. @geographerdave: I actually have real difficulty teaching some college students what a cultivated plant is, and how to determine whether a landscape is largely human-modified; basic prerequisites to even understand the need for this. I have had college students who did not realize there was more than one kind of tree on campus! For some students, this is a lot to learn. I imagine that younger or more disadvantaged students are even more predisposed to this. Unfortunately, the learning process often requires some mistakes.

9 Likes

This is incredibly fascinating. Thank you for these links!

2 Likes