Possible to ID seashell predator from bore hole?

Is it possible to ID a predator snail from the bore-hole left in a seashell?

I am specifically interested in the northwest Atlantic where there are at least six snails that drill into other shells, but more generally, I’m interested if there are species-specific drill holes.

2 Likes

I don’t know how to myself, but from what I’ve seen you can narrow it to the type of snail (like moon snails) but not any further. This makes sense to me given that the difference from species to species can be quite minute and probably have nothing to do with their eating mechanisms. Still, it is enough to be research-grade if someone thinks to hit the “Based on the evidence, can the Community Taxon still be confirmed or improved” button at the bottom.

2 Likes

I have no clue personally but sometimes with things like that, you can reach at least subfamily, which is enough to get to RG if it’s marked as good as can be, and if it is “as good as can be”.

1 Like

In addition to moon snails and rock snails (among other neogastropods), octopus will also drill shells, making even class IDs difficult. I have heard that the angle of the hole can help in IDs, but I’m not sure how accurate that is. That’s also suggested here:
https://www.digitalatlasofancientlife.org/learn/paleoecology/predation/drilling-predation/

1 Like

@thomaseverest Thanks for the link, exactly the kind of info I am looking for and a good place to start.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.