Posting obervations of seashells

I will be going to the seashore in a few months and I’m wondering if posting pictures of seashells is ok. I mean there isn’t life, but there was once lived in them.

5 Likes

I think its perfectly fine to do so. I have a few observations of bivalves and the like. eg. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/30366984

Subtle differences in the shell colours, patterns, textures etc can help to distinguish different species I think.

3 Likes

Absolutely fine - as are eggshells, nests, dead plants, animal tracks, scat, snakeskins - all recent evidence of an organism.

7 Likes

It helps a lot to get photos of both sides.

5 Likes

absolutely. just like its okay to post bones. obviously only post shells that you find in the wild, or mark tourist store shells as captive/cultivated if you do post them. but yeah thats totally valid, i try to do it every time im at a beach.

try to get detailed pictures, multiple angles.

3 Likes

Oh, I forgot bones in my list. Agree!

1 Like

I record empty shells regularly. Sometimes a hermit crab might’ve taken up residence inside, especially if the shell is in a rock pool, so you can add the crab obs as well :-)

If you record the shell species (no animal inside), you can add the Observation Field: ‘Animal Sign and Song’ and choose shell/exoskeleton from the drop down list.

3 Likes

Not only do I post thousands of iNaturalist observations of empty seashells, but I have published many papers in malacological journals based entirely or almost entirely on empty shells.

When on a beach, also be sure to make observations of all the different seaweeds, crab shells, and whatever else you can find that has washed up.

Enjoy!

18 Likes

Thank you all!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.