Problems loading website - Secure Connection Failed (sometimes)

Platform: Website
Browser: Firefox

Last night and today I’m having problems trying to use the website. I have tried opening various pages and sometimes the same page multiple times and nothing is consistent. Sometimes the page will load just fine. Sometimes the top title and menu will load but I get the spinning circle forever for the rest of the page. Sometimes the page will load but the formatting is wrong/gone.

I have also gotten this error:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.inaturalist.org. Peer reports incompatible or unsupported protocol version.
Error code: SSL_ERROR_PROTOCOL_VERSION_ALERT
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
This website might not support the TLS 1.2 protocol, which is the minimum version supported by Firefox. Enabling TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 might allow this connection to succeed.
TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 will be permanently disabled in a future release.

And this error:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.inaturalist.org. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Edit to add this one too:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to www.inaturalist.org. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

So are these obervation pages you’re trying to load? Any URLs you can provide would be helpful.

I started using another browser for a while because I wasn’t having any problems with the other browser. After your reply I went back to using Firefox and have not had any errors again yet.

PS it was a bunch of different pages: home/dashboard, various obs, edit obs, add obs, etc. Sometimes a certain page would have an error or not finish loading and other times that same page would load correctly.

I asked our developers about this and we’re supporting TLS 1.2 protocol. We’re pretty sure it’s not a bug on our end - are you using some sort of antivirus or web defender software or extension? Is this your home network?

Closing this as it’s likely an issue on the user’s end and without more information we can’t do much more.

1 Like