Programs to Move Photos From Phone to PC?

This problem is only tangentially related to iNat, but iNat is why I have this problem. I take tons of photos on my phone, primarily for iNat, and need to periodically move them over to my computer to make more space on my phone. Unfortunately for me, my (windows) computer’s default photo viewing program refuses to work properly with my (apple) phone. Trying to directly access the files doesn’t work, and neither does iTunes. Until recently, I had managed to find success with “mobimover us”, a program that did exactly what I wanted; copy all my phone’s photos onto my laptop. Just the other day, however, it started telling me that I can only transfer 20 photos per day, which is more or less useless for me. I guess my free trial ran out, or something.

Now I’m looking for a new - free - program to move my photos from my phone to my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Programs that worked for you?

1 Like

Do iPhones not have an app that does so?
Eg. I know Samsung has (still has?) an app called Smart Switch that could xfer contacts, pics, etc from phone to PC for restores.

Have you tried adjusting the location & privacy settings on your phone to have the phone “trust” the PC? This might work when you have your phone connected to PC and then also do the “trust” options when you open iTunes.

1 Like

The closest thing I’m aware of is iCloud, which is a cloud storage program. Problem is, it’s basically a scam. It stores only a tiny amount of your photos, and then asks you to buy a subscription for more storage. In the past, using the free version, I’ve even had trouble getting cloud-stored photos back from iCloud

1 Like

Yes, I always make sure my phone ‘trusts’ my PC. Unfortunately, that doesn’t help.

Google Drive allows you to hold up to 15GB on your account at a time (infinite for school Google accounts), so you can upload them into the app and then download them from drive.google.com. Not sure what other cloud apps like Dropbox allow. Google Photos automatically backs up my photos on an Android device and I can access them at photos.google.com but I don’t know if that works for iOS.

3 Likes

I could try that. I haven’t really looked into using apps on my phone to do the moving, mostly just stuff on my pc. I’ll probably have to open a new google account just for photo moving, with how many photos I take… from the start of august to now, I’ve got just under 18gb of photos on my phone

Although official support from Google has ended for this, I still use Picasa for phone to PC downloads and seems to work. Think you might still be able to download a copy and could try it.

https://picasa.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

you should be able to connect your phone your windows computer via USB to transfer files. try following the instructions in this video or something similar: https://youtu.be/eyuiRv9a-gY.

5 Likes

You’d think that would work, but nope. Whenever I try, the process will crash after transferring usually about 15 photos at most. Occasionally I get lucky and get around 50.

A quick google search is telling me that picasa charges you to handle more than 1gb of data, but I’ll look into it anyways, thanks

could it be this? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m0pTy7AmI3s

1 Like

Really hope you can make this work. For large volumes of data, using a cable (or movable physical storage) begins to become far more efficient.

2 Likes

That sounds like a cable connection issue. I have that sometimes with my iPhone - PC connection.

Try a different cable in a different USB port (on the opposite side of your computer if you’re using a laptop).

I regularly transfer large amounts of photos from my iPhone to my Windows PCs. The process I use is simply plugging the phone into the PC, telling the phone to “trust” the PC, gong to the relevant folder, and copying the photos to my PC. Nothing fancy, no problems, other than sometimes using a bad cable.

The reason to try using a different USB port is because often laptops will have 2 on one side and 1 on the other. The side that has 2 is often just an internal hub splitting the connection from a single internal USB connection. This sometimes messes with connections and data transfer. The other side, the one with 1, is a direct connection rather than an internal hub and often works better. This is an issue you see most often with external drives, but it sometimes happens when connecting phones to, and especially iPhones.

5 Likes

Thank you for that. Will try the single side next time.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.