Project Leaderboard inaccuracy

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform : iNat website

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings or About): NA

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : Edge

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices:

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.): Leaderboard on Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research project home page not properly displaying number of qualified observations for members

Step 1: Open project home page

Step 2:

Step 3:

you probably need to add more information to this bug report. what is an example of something that shows incorrectly on the project page? what is your basis for comparison?

1 Like

Member tomlott has 218 observations and 49 species on the leaderboard. These numbers match his total number of iNat observations and species.

Member chris_mcmartin has 138 observations and 32 species on the leaderboard. These numbers match his total number of iNat observations and species.

Member steve_bledsoe has 26 observations and 13 species on the leaderboard. These numbers do not match my total number of 400 observations and 57 species in the iNat database.

I just noticed something. All but 26 of my 400 observations I have labeled as PRIVATE. Can this be the problem? If this is the problem, is there a way to edit this setting on all of my records as a “batch” or do I need to edit them one at a time?

Yes, that should be the problem. The project automatically collects observations in the target area. As the locations of these observations are private the project does not know that they are in the target area. The same can potentially happen with obscured (rather than private) locations if they are near the border of the area.


Thank you for the confirmation.
If there’s a way to automatically edit the Geoprivacy setting in all of my observations at once, please let me know!
Thanks again.

If you go to Edit observations in the user menu (upper right-hand corner), you can use the batch edit tool to select observations as a batch and change their geoprivacy.

tiwane -
I tried that and selected ALL of my observations, but couldn’t find a way to edit the geoprivacy selection.
I guess I’m not looking in the right place for that option.
I’ll give it another try.
Thank you.

  1. click on batch edit
  2. select all
  3. click on edit selected
  4. Click on batch operations, then click on more fields.

  1. Change the geoprivacy to the level you want then click on Apply geoprivacy
  2. At the bottom of the page click save all

Batch edit is a really old part of the site, so somtimes you’ll get a time out error with a large number of observations, but in my experience the changes usually do get made.


Got it!
Thank you for your assistance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 18 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.