Props in Movies?

Are you aware of, or have thought of something in nature that could totally end up as a prop in film? For example the Golana Melon in this Star Trek: DS9 episode is actually a Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus). My choices:

Related: Does your nature knowledge spoil fiction?

1 Like

My trained ish birder ear usually get thrown off by some weird background bird noises from places where there shouldn’t be birds of that type. Not sure if that counts as a movie prop, but yeah.

4 Likes

I think so! I sometimes hear local Crows (Corvus)(?) making that throaty sound (not sure what it is, not a birder!) and it definitely sounds un-bird-like to my untrained ear.

I remember watching a movie of an alien landscape on a distant planet and it was pretty convincing until I recognized the ocotillo.
“Huh - southern California or thereabouts.”

Granted, it does look like a pretty alien plant.

3 Likes

I was shocked when I first saw an Ocotillo when I visited Arizona last year. I had never seen or even heard of one before and my first thought was that it was one of Dr. Seuss’ illustrations come to life!

2 Likes

Not sure why but Ocotillo (Fouquieria splendens) reminds me of Desert Trumpet (Eriogonum inflatum) with respect to Dr. Seuss plants.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.