Published papers that use iNaturalist data - wiki

The aim of this wiki is to provide a user-curated list of publications that use iNaturalist data (from this discussion). Please add to it, including, where possible (1) a link to the paper itself, (2) a link to the observation filter that encompasses as closely as possible what was used by the paper, and (3) contact details for the author(s) in cases where the paper is not open access.

This is intended to complement the list of papers that cite GBIF data including iNaturalist exports so papers already on that list need not be included here.

Publications:

Amezquita, A., Marquez, R., Medina, R., Mejia-Vargas, D., Kahn, T. R. @sapito, Suarez, G. & Mazariegos, L. (2013) A new species of Andean poison frog, Andinobates (Anura: Dendrobatidae), from the northwestern Andes of Colombia. Zootaxa 3620(1): 163–178. [Observation]

Atha, D. @danielatha (2018) First report of Rumex cristatus (Polygonaceae) for New York State. Phytoneuron 48: 1–3. [Observation]

Atha, D. @danielatha & B. Boom (2018) State of New York City’s Plants 2018. The New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, New York. [Observations]

Atha, D. @danielatha, B. Boom, A. Thornbrough, J. Kurtz, L. McIntyre, M. Hagen, J.A. Schuler, L. Rohleder, S.J. Hewitt @susanhewitt & J. Kelly (2017) Arum italicum (Araceae) is invasive in New York. Phytoneuron 31: 1–18. [Observations]

Atha, D. @danielatha, R.V. Alvarez & K. Chaya (2018) First report of Sagina apetala (Caryophyllaceae) for New York. Phytoneuron 34: 1–2. [Observations]

Atha, D. @danielatha, Wijesinghe, D. & Lazzeri, V. (2018) First report of Stellaria pallida (Caryophyllaceae) for New York State. Phytoneuron 64: 1–8. [Observations]

Center for Biological Diversity (2017) Petition to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to protect the San Gabriel Chestnut Snail under the Endangered Species Act. Portland, Oregon. [Observations]

Hewitt, S. J. @susanhewitt (2017) Additions to the marine mollusk checklist for the island of Saba, Leeward Islands, West Indies. Vita Malacologica 16: 40–43. [Observations: 1 2 3 4]

Martoni, F. & K. F. Armstrong (2019) Acizzia errabunda sp. nov. and Ctenarytaina insularis sp. nov.: Descriptions of two new species of psyllids (Hemiptera: Psylloidea) discovered on exotic host plants in New Zealand. PLoS ONE 14: e0214220. [Observations: Acizzia, Ctenarytaina]

Pauly, G. B., Yoshida, G. S., & Worrell, R. (2015) Geographic distribution: USA, California: Hemidactylus garnotii. Herpetological Review 46(4): 569. [Observations]

Pollock, N.B., Howe, N., Irizarry, I., Lorusso, N., Kruger, A., Himmler, K., Struwe, L. (2015) Personal BioBlitz: A New Way to Encourage Biodiversity Discovery and Knowledge in K-99 Education and Outreach BioScience 65(12): 1154–1164.

Reith, M. @mreith (2017) Piltdown in the Caribbean? A comparison of Kurt Johnson’s and Albert Schwartz’s contribution to the butterfly fauna of Hispaniola. Conference: IX Congreso de Biodiversidad Caribeña. Santo Domingo (República Dominicana). [Observations: Haiti, Dominican Republic]

Trageser, S. J., A. Wiscovitch & J. K. Foon @jkfoon (2018) Discovery of Myxostoma petiverianum Wood, 1828 (Gastropoda: Caenogastropoda: Cyclophoroidea: Cyclophoridae) on Hòn Cau, Vietnam. The Festivus 50(2): 110–113. [Observation]

7 Likes
Archive of papers published with iNat data and feasibility of disseminating to submitters?

I’m not sure if this is in the right category, so others please feel free to move or modify it as appropriate.

1 Like

Thanks, @deboas. I’ve been meaning to start a wiki like this. There’s also this spreadsheet that has captured some publications. If anyone wants to start adding them to the wiki, go for it. I know I won’t be able to get to it today but wanted to get the link in here since it has some useful information.

5 Likes

Carrie, do you still have the big list of ‘other inaturalists’? That might be something nice to have in a wiki here too if it’s something you can share.

1 Like

I do, but seems that should be a different topic and/or just added to the spreadsheet (may lend itself to that better than a wiki). Here’s my original journal post on the topic, with a link to the spreadsheet of platforms similar to iNaturalist (it’s now far out of date, but I suppose now that makes it a source of historical data).

3 Likes

I’ve started to add these, and for now the list is in alphabetical order by author. Please holler in these comments as the list grows if you would prefer to arrange it by year or some other system. Where there are discoveries without a publication yet, I haven’t included them.

2 Likes