Quick question about Bearded Vultures

Ok, so I’m on a deep dive learning about Bearded Vultures at the moment because quite frankly they’re awesome, and I’ve got a question that I can’t find the answer to anywhere:

I know that vultures often use vomitting as a defense mechanism, but I’ve also found out that Bearded Vultures do not have a crop. Also, as their diet is 80% bone, throwing up might be a slightly different prospect. As their stomach acid is so low a PH, it seems like throwing it up could be… quite off-putting to say the least! My question is, then, do Bearded Vultures vomit as a defense mechanism?

Thanks in advance!!

1 Like

I believe that it’s New World vultures that vomit, not old world ones. As I understand it they vomit mainly as a way of lightening themselves to escape danger, not as an active defensive mechanism.

1 Like

It’s the first time I hear about vomiting vultures tbh, though I have only a scarce image about New World ones if they’re who do that (and google says yes, Turkey Vultures do that).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.