Reposting observations offsite for IDs

What do people think about sharing someone else´s observation offsite ( for an ID ) ?
Should one ask the observer or does it not really matter ?

Feels like a courtesy at least… but also to me like its no big deal and perhaps simply unnecessary if the license allows (?) If someone wanted to chase an ID for one of my observations off site I would be delighted they were going to the effort.

1 Like

If you just post the link, I don’t think that there’s any issue. If you post the photo or data, you’d need to check the licenses and abide by that. But if you do, I don’t think that there’s an issue.

6 Likes

Asking observer is an act of politeness more than licensing problem, I think user deserves to know both about your effort to get an id and that their content appears somewhere.

5 Likes

iNat is public. Sharing the actual iNat link is fine. So long as the photo retains its clear link to the observer.
Not ‘asking for a friend’.
I do see some obs both on iNat and Facebook - but that is done BY the observer.

4 Likes

So if you get an ID from someone else on an external site, are you going to enter it on iNat as yours?

1 Like

I would enter any ID with the name of the actual identifier and a link to the post off site.

(I already do this for many of my own observations…as do other identifiers, when external expertise is sought off site)

4 Likes

an ID from an external site (a trusted group interested in that taxon) can be a source of information, like a field guide or a website. If they can convince you, then you can suggest that ID. I’ve seen a few obs stating ID by Named Expert.

1 Like

Yes that sounds reasonable. I was just curious, I never really thought about it before.

2 Likes

it is not ideal admittedly though - as a datapoint the ID would be logged under my name
I guess ideally there would be an option to add an external ID under the name of someone else but then thats also problematic.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.