RIP Vic Fazio, long-time contributor and ornithologist, entomologist

A loss indeed, as individuals like him are invaluable to not only identifying species, but also making more people interested in the natural world, as he and people like him bring so much knowledge easily available to the public, and thus connecting people with Mother Earth.

Sad that he died from lymphoma as many of the sub types have very good prognosis now. I for one had lymphoma (Hodgkins) in 2015. It’s just an example of how unpredictable cancers are, and life in general. Fortunately he was able to leave an impressive legacy and hopefully inspire others to continue his work.

6 Likes

Oh no. So very sad to read this. Vic Fazio was a great help to so many of us, so often. 60 is way too few years…
Heartfelt condolences to his family, and to all who knew him.

3 Likes

So sad and a tremendous loss. I’ve been missing your generous identification skills. RIP Victor.

2 Likes

My loving thoughts of comfort to VIc’s family. I only knew him here in the ether. He was always helpful and kind. I am grateful for his body of work and his passions to teach and pass on knowledge and wisdom. I am honored to have been corrected by his amazing skills. Skillful, mindful, passionate, and wonderful. Your memory will live on in my life. Thank you…

Howard Friedman

2 Likes

Damn! Awful news, too young.
I wondered why Vic had gone silent, but assumed he’d moved on to another project. And he needed no excuse for making a change, given his prolific work here over years.
Vic had suggested this platform to me after we interacted on Flickr years back…always interesting comparing moth diversity in his Manning Valley to my Richmond Valley, though we used different observation techniques. Generous, encouraging and enthusiastic…too soon, Vic!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.