Platform MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, MacBook Pro
App version number N/A
Browser Safari 12.1.2
URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages:
Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):
Description of problem:
- Log in to iNaturalist website.
- Click the green + to add observations.
- Drag and drop photos from iPhotos to the observation creation page.
- Combine photos into observations with 1 to many photos.
- Add locations to new observations.
- Add notes and start identifying the organisms. This almost always involves opening other iNat windows and Googling. I have a suspicion that switching windows during “Loading metadata” is involved. I can try to recreate later.
- Notice that some but not all photos that were showing as thumbnails are missing and replaced with the file name from my computer. E.g., DSC09548. If I hover over the icon, it displays “Upload failed.” Occasionally all of the photos in an observation go missing but usually it’s just some of them. I know it happens when the first photo is gone but I think it has happened other times that I didn’t notice because sometimes I don’t have all the photos that I remember I dragging and dropping.
- If I upload the observations, the files with file names do not appear. I can drag and drop them again into the waiting observation to workaround the problem but it’s a pain because it happens most of the time with varying numbers of photos.
Update: When adding back the missing photos that prompted me to open this report, photos in previously affected observations disappeared. These photos were not “Loading Metadata” at the time.
Update 2: I ought to mention that I load many observations at a time. My camera doesn’t have GPS, and loading a bunch makes it easier to set the locations.