Scat and track observations

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie user of inaturalist and have seen a couple of posts with tracks or scat-- any tips on how to best add those as observations (since there is no particular category or tag for this) so that they might have a chance of getting identification suggestions? Thanks!

4 Likes

Best bet is to add an observation field to them. Unfortunately there are many duplicated fields that all do the same thing, but I believe the most commonly used one for this is called ‘Sign’ which has values for both Track and Scat in the dropdown.

Like this record

3 Likes

Oh, interesting! Ok, I didn’t see this option in the app. Will look around more. Thank you!

2 Likes

Sorry, you did not make it clear you were on the app. Adding observation fields can only be done via the website interface.

3 Likes

I’m just now seeing that the website has far more functionality–including this forum! Will be using the site instead of app now. Thank you.

5 Likes

Welcome! :)

1 Like

Just a note that any record you enter on the app will be visible on your website account and the reverse as well.

So if it is easier to continue capturing the track photos on the app, by all means do so, and then edit them on the website.

If you are a new user to the app, I’d also strongly suggest going into the app settings and turning off the Auto Synch, which means you need to manually initiate synching your records. The Auto Synch can eat through data plans very quickly.

7 Likes

You could also add observations to dedicated projects such as this one:
Scatology · iNaturalist

2 Likes

There is also a relatively new worldwide project for tracks!

2 Likes

The North American Animal Tracks project is also great! Adding to projects can really help get reliable identifications fast.

2 Likes

And use something in your photo to indicate scale (a coin?)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.