Another newbie question - how to add observations to a project?

I have a couple of observations that look like someone added to a project. That’s cool.
I’d like to do the same. For instance, I find a lot of feather & scat, that I’d like to add to those respective projects. How do I do that?

1 Like

You know, honestly, I don’t think this one is as newbie… :laughing: I think this is much more reasonable as the last “newbie question” too…

Anyway, as far as I know (which is not much), you can’t add observations to projects; instead, you join the project, and the project has filters, and the observations of the iNaturalists who join the project meet those filters, they get added automatically.

2 Likes

I wonder if I can make them talk to each other. Join project, set filters for “scat”, and then add “scat” as an observation field. ?

You can make two types of projects: collection project, where filters add observations automatically, and traditional projects, where you can add observations manually. To switch, go in the project settings. Someone else can probably explain further, I can’t type so much right now.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly, but only for a collection project.

2 Likes

For Traditional Projects check out this link https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/adding-observations-to-a-traditional-project-wiki/13190

2 Likes

‘Found feathers’ is a good site for feathers, and @karakaxa is damned good. I post scat to ‘Scatology’, but rarely get an answer. Both I had to join, but worthwhile.

2 Likes

So I figured out the answer to my question.
To add someone else’s observation to a project, open the whole observation*, and then add the name in the Projects field. You must already be a member of that project.

I was getting hung up because I can’t do what I describe in the Identify panel. Oh well. I hope this helps someone down the line.

4 Likes

wow I never thought of that I feel like such a knucklehead

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.