Search for taxon "Alansmia stella" results in fail whale

Searched for the taxon to try to add it, and the fail whale comes up whenever I search for that name.

looks ok to me. https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/938993-Alansmia-stella.

Right, but try plugging it into the search box.

i did both the search box and the taxon search box (on the taxon page), and it seems to come back just fine.

I submitted a false record of this taxon just now and it went through okay.

I also get the fail whale, but I when I plug Alansmia stella into the search box, I get a 2-option drop-down menu that appears. If I select one of the options from the drop-down menu, it works. If I just press enter, the fail whale appears. Screen shot below.

4 Likes

Hmmm, when I did the same using the Search box, the Observations page for that species came up, indicating “no results found” – which is true because there are no submitted records.

If I type “Alansmia stella” in the search box, two options show up, pressing enter results in a whale, selecting the first option results in “no observations” and selecting the second option results in endless hourglass (two arrows chasing each other).

Typing “Alansmia stell” and pressing enter results in just the first option appearing and pressing enter results in :

Search Results for “Alansmia stell”

All Taxa Users Projects Places

Alansmia stella | View Observations

Alansmia stella is a species of plants with 0 observations

Other Names: Terpsichore stella, Grammitis stella, Ctenopteris stella

I confirm exactly this behavior from my machine. Further, if the second menu item is chosen, the URL contains “taxon_id=null” so I suspect there’s a database problem with “Alansmia stella flava” that is messing up the search for the species. A taxon search for the subspecies turns up no result, and the taxon info for the species shows no subspecies defined. Oddly, typing in “Alansmia stella flava” and hitting return also results in the fail shark, even though there is only one choice in the dropdown menu.

1 Like

I’m now getting a similar problem with Adenophorus sarmentosus rockii, where the name of the taxon shows up in the search box but is linked to “null”.