How can I remove that ‘Cape Town Marine’?
Where does it come from?
Click the little cross next to the “Cape Town Marine” to clear the bounding box. Do this on the Grid tab not the Map tab otherwise it will take forever to load because what’s going to happen is that it’s going to refresh to all frogs of the world.
Make some coffee while it loads all the frogs of the world. Then when the page has finished loading, type Cape Town into the Location box, choose the right option from the dropdown (check closely which one you choose), and then wait for it to load the frogs of CT. Go back to the Map tab and all should be well.
Thank you - I have tried and tried. It remains utterly broken for me.
I can find 2 marine frogs (due to obscured locations)
I can replicate! I have tried Kaapstad and Kapstadt, but they both default to Cape Town marine.
I have searched for the Place ‘Cape Town’ under Places, and found point places, which is not correct, they should have bounding boxes.
Did you used to be able to use this Place? @tonyrebelo we’ve got issues - can you help, please?
@dianastuder the “Location” field searches Google Maps and if an iNat place matches a result we’ll show that place boundary, but once you get below the country/state/county equivalent levels, it’s a bit of a crap shoot and doesn’t work so well. I recommend using the Place search in the Filters box. I’m not familiar with Cape Town’s actual borders, but this place looks decent, or at least more relevant than the marine one.
Tony summarized it: dont use the main box because it is a google search and not very good.
Go into the filters and use them:
your choices should be:
- Cape Town, WC, ZA Local Administrative Area
- Cape Town, WC, ZA Town
- Epping Forest, Cape Town, WC, ZA
- Capri, Cape Town, WC, ZA
- Provident North Park, City of Cape Town, WC, ZA Open Space
- Mouille Point Beach, Cape Town, WC, ZA Land Feature
- Granger Bay, Cape Town, WC, ZA Land Feature
- Sandown Fynbos Corridor, Cape Town, ZA
- Sunningdale Ephemeral Pan, Cape Town, ZA
- Gardens, Cape Town, WC, ZA
- Pinelands, Cape Town, WC, ZA
- Private Garden Scarborough, Cape Town Open Space
- Durbanville Nature Reserve, Cape Town, WC, ZA Open Space
- Company’s Garden, Cape Town, WC, ZA Point of Interest
- Parklands Fynbos Corridor, Cape Town, South Africa
- Parklands, Cape Town, WC, ZA
- Meadowridge Common , Cape Town, WC, ZA Open Space
- Signal Hill (Cape Town) , Cape Town, WC, ZA
- Pelagic Cape Town
- Kenilworth Racecourse Conservation Area, Cape Town, WC, ZA Open Space
- Strandfontein Sewer Works, Cape Town, WC, ZA Open Space
- Pelagic Cape Town
- Morning Star East, Cape Town, WC, ZA Open Space
- Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, Cape Town, WC, ZA Open Space
- Harfield Village, Cape Town, Cape Town, WC, ZA Street Segment
- Elsieskraal River, Pinelands, Cape Town, WC, ZA Unknown
- Elsieskraal River, Cape Town, WC, ZA Unknown
- Cape Town Marine, WC, ZA
- City of Cape Town, WC, ZA County
- Cape Town marine
- Tygerberg Nature Reserve, Cape Town, WC, ZA Open Space
- Scarborough, Cape Town, South Africa Unknown
- Witzands Aquifer Nature Reserve (WANR), Cape Town, ZA
I would recommend that you use “City of Cape Town” instead of Cape Town.
Seems like some curation is needed. The problem is conflicting needs with slightly different areas. And several bum places.
Thanks. I also wonder about Silver Mine showing up as two words for the location on observations. That should always be Silvermine.
@tiwane any chance of a mouseover text on the location box for confused new users?
or use Filter by place
Or a toggle so I can set my default straight to filter by place, instead of a not useful to me location box?
This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.