Should I mark this "No, it's as good as it can be"?

Lovely photo of a plant, posted six years ago under the genus name. Over the years, six other people have identified it to species – the same species. Observer opted out of community ID and stopped posting six years ago. The observation theoretically could go to species but in practical terms, it can’t. So, should I mark this, “No, it’s as good as it can be”? Or should it stay as “Needs ID” and waste identifiers’ time as long as iNaturalist exists?
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/896956

2 Likes

The community ID IS at species level, so it should be marked as good as it can be

3 Likes

Why is it now Casual rather than RG? Nothing’s happened other than being marked as ID cannot be improved.

1 Like

Because the observer opted-out of community ID and never agreed to the species, so it can’t become RG.

1 Like

I interpreted “the community agrees with them” to mean “the community taxon is a descendant of the observer’s ID”, so I thought that since the species was within their suggested genus it could become RG. Apparently I was wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

In my opinion, if you are convinced the ID’s are correct, I would mark it as ‘good as it can be’. Only my opinion, of course.

1 Like

Thanks! Done.

2 Likes

For me you can feel free to mark it as a “good” observation and go on for the RG. I cannot know the reasons beyond this particular case why the observer marked it as “not as good as it could be” but let me say that for me it is so sad that there is this scarcity of identifiers (not in that case) and there are so many users who do not even take the time to revise their wrong ID and do not consider the possibility to confirm the newly provided, and often more reasonable, ID(s).

I’m the one who marked this observation “No, it’s as good as it can be.” Lots of people – well, six of us – marked it as the correct species but it stays at the genus level because the observer opted out of community ID.

3 Likes

A number of common moths in my area (Canada) can only be told apart by genital dissection. They are lumped into a complex, and I figure three ID’s is enough, so I check off ‘As good as it gets’. I leave a note saying that’s what I have done.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.